Regarding nvidia graphic card for P4 and intel core 2

rajendrabiswas

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi I joined this forum specially for this opinion..I have a pentium 4 with a pci express 1.0 or 1.1..Ih ave geforce 6200TC.It has played most of the games very well under its 250 ram...but recent games like cod 4 asasin creed and others are a problem,but the main problem is lagging,is this becoz of grahics cards or p4 processor? so I basically want to upgrade my card with direct x 9 and xp intact...while i have p4 I also have pentoum intel core 2,but i dont use it much its used by others...but say i want to put anivdia card on both pcs will will be compatabile with both intel core 2 and my p4...and can install the software in both pcs? is it possible? the main reason is i have a lot of clasic games like omikron,deus ex,sands of time pop,which i want to still play so will intel core 2 be backward compatabile?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hello,

I dont think it is a good idea to try to get the same card for both computers. Any card powerful enough to play the newest games at high resolutions will probably be hampered by the P4.

1. Are you committed to nvidia only?
2. How much are you prepared to spend on each computer?

Without those answers my gut reaction is to tell you to get a ATI 4670($65ish) or so for the P4. I dont think it would be worth it to spend any more than that on an aging computer.

I would probably pick a Nvidia GTS 250($115) or ATI 4850 ($99) for the C2D (they are about equal in power--ATI is just cheaper). You could spend more to buy a better card for the core 2 if you wanted to have very high performance.

For general reference check out toms best graphics cards for the money article from December:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491.html

The only thing not up to date in this review is at the $100 price point--which should be replaced with the 4850.

rajendrabiswas

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i already have both the pcs,so i was thinking to put the same card in different computers.

which is the best card recomend for p4 on pci express 1.0 to play latest games without lag on nvidia?

and for the intel core 2 i know already that the laest would obviously do well

None. No GPU will play the latest games when paired with a P4, unless you go with the lowest possible options. Heck, some games don't even SUPPORT the Pentium4 anymore...

seerwan

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
bro, i had a Pentium 4 with HT about 6 months ago, and i bought a new 1 GB 4670, and the P4 bottlenecked it. so i bought a Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300.

u need to upgrade ure entire platform, bro. P4 is old as hell. get a new i5-750, it'll last for 2 - 3 more years, gr8 architecture, and pair it with a new GPU.

peace.