Cooler goes not below the 2000rpm

tomgo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi Everybody

I have the problem, that I can reduce the fan speed below the 2000rpm. Fan speed is set to 40%. So I tried to reduce the speed with RivaTuner, but also if % is below 40%, the fan runs with 2000rpm. The rpm increases if I select speeds over 40% but it remains at 2000rpm if I go under 40%. :(

As I though, this is limited by the BIOS, I took NIBITOR, set the min Duty Ciclc to 28% and flashed the cards bios. Now GPU-Z shows me a percentage of 28% after reboot, but the cooler still runs with 2000rpm. :fou:
When I enhance the percentage now up to 40%, the cooler runs constantly with 2000rpm, only if I exceed the 40%, the cooler will go faster over the 2000rpm

Could it be, that a lower fan speed is locked by hardware or are there any other settings in NIBIOR to lower fan speed under the 2000rpm.

Thanks
Kind regards,
Tom

tomgo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Is there a way to reduce it by reducing the voltage of the cooler eg. by using a resistor or a DC/DC-converter ?

However, I would say, a resistor is a little bit hazardeous because the voltage will reduce more the higher the speed is as the voltage over the resistor will go higher. This is because the current increases when the fan speed gets faster. Thus more voltage drops off the resistanse and voltage over the fan will be lower.
So a power reducement with a resistor will affect more the maximum speed than the minimum speed. But this should be vice-versa.

I think a DC/DC-converter will be better.

But would this really work ?