Does Cingular Support VPN? Technical Support give me diffe..

Does anyone have expereince of running VPN over GPRS with Cingular? I
am trying to set that up and failing miserably.

I just switched to Cingular so that I could run VPN over GPRS to
access my corporate network. The guy in the store said no problem and
signed my up for the medianet unlimited package.

However, I cannot connect. I have neen in touch with technical support
twice. The first time they told me that it must nbe a problem with my
VPN hosting service. However, they watched their logs as I tried to
access the server and I was not even registering as reaching the VPN
sever.
So back to Cingular technical support and this time they said that
they do not support VPN. I asked him to double check and he said he
had 'asked around' and they deifinitely don't support VPN.

Is any using VPN?

Many thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about does cingular support technical support give diffe

    Exile wrote:

    > Does anyone have expereince of running VPN over GPRS with Cingular? I
    > am trying to set that up and failing miserably.
    >
    > I just switched to Cingular so that I could run VPN over GPRS to
    > access my corporate network. The guy in the store said no problem and
    > signed my up for the medianet unlimited package.
    >
    > However, I cannot connect. I have neen in touch with technical support
    > twice. The first time they told me that it must nbe a problem with my
    > VPN hosting service. However, they watched their logs as I tried to
    > access the server and I was not even registering as reaching the VPN
    > sever.
    > So back to Cingular technical support and this time they said that
    > they do not support VPN. I asked him to double check and he said he
    > had 'asked around' and they deifinitely don't support VPN.
    >
    > Is any using VPN?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    Myself and several buds are using VPN on Cingular w/GC82 cards and
    MediaNET. As far as Cingular not supporting VPN, what they mean is VPN
    is not a service offering specifically listed for any of their rate
    plans - which is true. Another truth is, VPN is a tunneling protocol
    (IPsec), supported solely by the host devices (via hardware or software)
    on each end of the tunnel - which also are neither owned nor supported
    by Cingular. Now, according to your problem description, I'd recommend
    doing a few pings and traceroutes via GPRS to the IP/Port of the VPN
    gateway, using whichever protocol you're expected to use - TCP or UDP.
    These results will likely help the VPN gateway admins determine where to
    go next. If your VPN gateway is reachable across non-GPRS network
    connections, the problem is likely in your PC setup. Firewall?

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Thanks, knowing that some folks can make it work, I'll try some more.
    Otherwise I was about to switch to T-Mobile.

    I have limited capability to run diagnosotics from the client side as
    it is a phone not a PC, I can ping but that's about it..

    Thanks.

    In <e509311h7nrdh2ucs381cjhoenrerq557e@4ax.com> on Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:11:01
    GMT, Exile <idonthinkso@neverland.org> wrote:

    >Does anyone have expereince of running VPN over GPRS with Cingular? I
    >am trying to set that up and failing miserably.
    >[SNIP]

    For what it's worth, I'm using SSH tunneling over Cingular GPRS.

    yes you can run VPN over the Cingular network. I believe that you
    needa regular media package for pc card, pda connect or blacberry not
    media net to do this.

    wrote:

    >Does anyone have expereince of running VPN over GPRS with Cingular? I
    >am trying to set that up and failing miserably.
    >
    >I just switched to Cingular so that I could run VPN over GPRS to
    >access my corporate network. The guy in the store said no problem and
    >signed my up for the medianet unlimited package.
    >
    >However, I cannot connect. I have neen in touch with technical support
    >twice. The first time they told me that it must nbe a problem with my
    >VPN hosting service. However, they watched their logs as I tried to
    >access the server and I was not even registering as reaching the VPN
    >sever.
    >So back to Cingular technical support and this time they said that
    >they do not support VPN. I asked him to double check and he said he
    >had 'asked around' and they deifinitely don't support VPN.
    >
    >Is any using VPN?
    >
    >Many thanks.

    I run SSH over Cingular Media Works.

    In <8921d199gk8pklfcelg20cf0kpoc5o02q5@4ax.com> on Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:35:39
    -0400, psychologically unstable <psycho@bellevue.com> wrote:

    >yes you can run VPN over the Cingular network. I believe that you
    >needa regular media package for pc card, pda connect or blacberry not
    >media net to do this.
    >
    >On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:11:01 GMT, Exile <idonthinkso@neverland.org>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Does anyone have expereince of running VPN over GPRS with Cingular? I
    >>am trying to set that up and failing miserably.
    >>
    >>I just switched to Cingular so that I could run VPN over GPRS to
    >>access my corporate network. The guy in the store said no problem and
    >>signed my up for the medianet unlimited package.
    >>
    >>However, I cannot connect. I have neen in touch with technical support
    >>twice. The first time they told me that it must nbe a problem with my
    >>VPN hosting service. However, they watched their logs as I tried to
    >>access the server and I was not even registering as reaching the VPN
    >>sever.
    >>So back to Cingular technical support and this time they said that
    >>they do not support VPN. I asked him to double check and he said he
    >>had 'asked around' and they deifinitely don't support VPN.
    >>
    >>Is any using VPN?
    >>
    >>Many thanks.

Cingular Support VPN Internet Service Providers