Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 HDMI Input issue

Last response: in Windows 8
December 31, 2012 11:45:38 PM

Hello,
A month ago I purchased an All in one Gateway PC with Windows 8 on it. Model Number ZX4970G. Now I'm having a little trouble of streaming from PC to HDTV. I have all the proper cables and everything is double checked. I noticed that there is only ONE HDMI connector on my PC. It's HDMI INPUT not OUTPUT. I was wondering if I could do anything to the PC so I can stream from my PC to the HDTV using the HDMI INPUT connection from the PC ??? Any and all help is really appreciated!
a b * Windows 8
December 31, 2012 11:54:01 PM

Hi :) 

Whatever makes you think its an INPUT ?

Almost all Hdmi`s on pcs are OUTPUT`s...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
January 1, 2013 12:08:34 AM

Brett928S2 said:

I concurr.

I would expect either one output, or one output and one input. I would not expect one input with no output.

My laptop has the ability to act as a display and audio receiver for an HDMI input source so laptops with HDMI IN do exist.
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:05:04 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Well it does say "HDMI IN" so I figured its INPUT not OUTPUT. On the back side it has 4 usb ports, 1 internet connection, HDMI IN, and the power source. On the left side has a memory card slot, slot for a wireless mouse/keyboard, audio/mic jacks, and one usb3.0. On the right side is the DVD ROM, Power Button, switch button for HDMI/PC, and a switch button for the lights on the computer to on/off.

I'm just wondering if there's some type of converter for HDMI input to output and vice versa?
m
l
January 8, 2013 7:20:08 AM

COLGeek said:
What video output ports does your system have? Looking at the specs at the link below, it just says HDMI "Yes".

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/model/DQ.GE4AA.0...

That's what the specs on mine was when i checked it out. But I'm assuming its input only considering it's labeled as "HDMI IN."
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 10:21:30 AM

war10ck7 said:
Well it does say "HDMI IN" so I figured its INPUT not OUTPUT. On the back side it has 4 usb ports, 1 internet connection, HDMI IN, and the power source. On the left side has a memory card slot, slot for a wireless mouse/keyboard, audio/mic jacks, and one usb3.0. On the right side is the DVD ROM, Power Button, switch button for HDMI/PC, and a switch button for the lights on the computer to on/off.

I'm just wondering if there's some type of converter for HDMI input to output and vice versa?

If you have an HDMI/PC switch then yes, it is an HDMI input.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 11:07:18 AM

You dont need an HDMI switch in your multi media PC, the model you showed is a muliti media pc. I looked at the specs. It has a built in tvturner card, I'd assume that is what the hdmi is using. So yes it would be input. Have you got your hdmi working
As the others said standard PC has no input untill a device is used that allows a pc to accommodate iinput

m
l
January 8, 2013 3:18:00 PM

gomerpile said:
You dont need an HDMI switch in your multi media PC, the model you showed is a muliti media pc. I looked at the specs. It has a built in tvturner card, I'd assume that is what the hdmi is using. So yes it would be input. Have you got your hdmi working
As the others said standard PC has no input untill a device is used that allows a pc to accommodate iinput

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-One-ZX4970G-UW308-All...

That's the specs to my pc. And I've already tried everything that I could think of and yet it still is being a pain. There's only one HDMI connection on my PC. It says "HDMI In." It has a HDMI/PC Mode Switch. I haven't found a HDMI Output connection on my PC. Unless it's invisible or I overlooked it which isn't possible.

My question is now: Can I buy some type of converter for HDMI to convert INPUT to OUTPUT and vice versa? Or am I just stuck with this microsoft PC until there's a solution to my issue?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 3:28:01 PM

So the questions are. What does the HDMI/PC switch do? Does it change the functionality of the HDMI port? Have you connected another display to the HDMI port to see what it does?
m
l
January 8, 2013 3:52:14 PM

COLGeek said:
So the questions are. What does the HDMI/PC switch do? Does it change the functionality of the HDMI port? Have you connected another display to the HDMI port to see what it does?

The HDMI/PC switch switches between PC Mode and HDMI-In Mode. When I have a TV or second monitor hooked up through the HDMI-In connector on the PC and do the switch to HDMI-In it goes to a black screen and it comes back to PC Mode. I made sure the TV is working and also the second monitor with other HDMI connections both works fine but when hooked up to the HDMI-In connector it doesn't work.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 8, 2013 4:03:18 PM

Have you contacted Gateway for support on this?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 10:37:02 AM

war10ck7 said:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-One-ZX4970G-UW308-All...

That's the specs to my pc. And I've already tried everything that I could think of and yet it still is being a pain. There's only one HDMI connection on my PC. It says "HDMI In." It has a HDMI/PC Mode Switch. I haven't found a HDMI Output connection on my PC. Unless it's invisible or I overlooked it which isn't possible.

My question is now: Can I buy some type of converter for HDMI to convert INPUT to OUTPUT and vice versa? Or am I just stuck with this microsoft PC until there's a solution to my issue?

according to the spec here http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2012/Gateway/ZX/ZX...
your hdmi is input so that is your tvtuner, not video card, So let me get this straight, Your trying to get your multi media tv to show on your tv. Enable multi display and start your tvturner card app and drag it onto the TV display. You need to setup your tvtuner software to use HDMI port
m
l
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 12:22:08 PM

gomerpile said:
according to the spec here http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2012/Gateway/ZX/ZX...
your hdmi is input so that is your tvtuner, not video card, So let me get this straight, Your trying to get your multi media tv to show on your tv. Enable multi display and start your tvturner card app and drag it onto the TV display. You need to setup your tvtuner software to use HDMI port

The HDMI-In is there to give the all-in-one machine the ability to receive data from an external HDMI source (Games console, Blu-Ray player, Tivo etc) and to display that input on the screen of the PC, hence the PC/HDMI switch. It has nothing to do with the built-in TV tuner which will have an antenna input to receive DVB-T signals.

I can't say for definite but I would assume that the HDMI-In isn't even part of the PC component of the device, more than likely it just operates at the display component level.

To the OP - when you say "stream" do you mean you want view movies/videos that are located on the PC on your TV or do you mean you want to use the TV as a secondary display? If you're just wanting to stream video content then (assuming your TV supports DLNA) this can be setup through windows media player or something like XBMC or PLEX.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 4:18:22 PM

Quote:
The HDMI-In is there to give the all-in-one machine the ability to receive data from an external HDMI source (Games console, Blu-Ray player, Tivo etc) and to display that input on the screen of the PC, hence the PC/HDMI switch. It has nothing to do with the built-in TV tuner which will have an antenna input to receive DVB-T signals.

I can't say for definite but I would assume that the HDMI-In isn't even part of the PC component of the device, more than likely it just operates at the display component level.

To the OP - when you say "stream" do you mean you want view movies/videos that are located on the PC on your TV or do you mean you want to use the TV as a secondary display? If you're just wanting to stream video content then (assuming your TV supports DLNA) this can be setup through windows media player or something like XBMC or PLEX.

All you want to do, all in one place: Select Gateway® One ZX Series models provide all you need to enjoy every aspect of your digital lifestyle. The drama of Blu-ray™ movies…the action of favorite games…the ability to attach your digital devices to see their output on a large screen… the excitement of sports and other TV programming …the ease of PC tasks enhanced by Windows 8. It’s everything under the One.

Screening Room
It’s like having your own silver screen. Choose a Gateway® One ZX Series with integrated Blu-ray™ to enjoy Hollywood’s best in highest definition. (Select models also offer Blu-ray™ burning!) THX® TruStudio PC™ sound and built-in stereo speakers immerse you even further, and an included remote gives you master control.

The more I read this pc has a built in tvtuner, which allows HD graphics driven by the graphics card, but the decoder is in the tvtuner card for input. If you read what this package contains you'll see the antenna is sold separately. Looking at the pics it appears to have. I believe its has to do with setting up the software so the card can read the input signal EDIT: or vise versa

Quote:
Game On!
Use integrated HDMI®-in to attach your favorite console, and then enjoy your games on the gorgeous Ultrabright™ screen of the Gateway® One ZX Series. Characters and landscapes, colors and explosions are more vivid than ever before, thanks to available Full HD and graphics from AMD, Intel® or NVIDIA®. Plus, you can connect your digital devices—tablet, smartphone, camera—to take advantage of the wide expanse of the Gateway® One ZX Series’ lustrous screen.

Streaming TV
Enjoy the excitement of sports events in high definition on Gateway® One ZX Series models equipped with hybrid TV tuners. But there’s more! Simultaneously use the Internet to keep current with other scores and news thanks to 802.11b/g/n wireless. It’s your TV, your web, merged into One.

PC Passion
Of course, outfitted with Windows 8, the Gateway® One ZX Series is a highly versatile PC. Powered by the newest processors from Intel® or AMD, it’s ready to handle student book reports and homework assignments, home office documents and spreadsheets, photo and movie editing, and more. And the integrated webcam and digital microphone keep you connected to friends and family.
View additional product specification details. Limited Warranty agreement applies. Price and specifications subject to change; see retailer for current pricing, promotions and terms of sale.
m
l
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 4:36:59 PM

If you read the specs for the unit you will see that the TV tuner is optional, and the OP has not mentioned the unit having an antenna-in socket anywhere on the chassis. You don't connect a TV antenna to an HDMI input! (which is what I think you're suggesting)

Its also says that the optional tuner is DVB-T which is not HD you need a DVB-T2 or DVB-T HD (Europe) tuner to recieve HD broadcasts.

I highly doubt the HDMI-In is part of the graphics card or even that the PC part of the unit has any ability to communicate with the port in any way.

Its simply there so the display part of the unit can be used by external sources, it says exactly that in the sales docs "Use integrated HDMI®-in to attach your favorite console, and then enjoy your games on the gorgeous Ultrabright™ screen of the Gateway® One ZX Series".

It's no different to being able to switch between sources on a regular PC monitor, for example my PC uses the DVI-D input on my monitor and my Xbox uses the HDMI input, I just switch between them using the "Source" button. It's just that this unit has the PC and screen in a single chassis.

Edit:- "I believe its has to do with setting up the software so the card can read the input signal EDIT"
- - - Input from what?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 6:23:18 PM

Quote:
If you read the specs for the unit you will see that the TV tuner is optional, and the OP has not mentioned the unit having an antenna-in socket anywhere on the chassis. You don't connect a TV antenna to an HDMI input! (which is what I think you're suggesting)

Its also says that the optional tuner is DVB-T which is not HD you need a DVB-T2 or DVB-T HD (Europe) tuner to recieve HD broadcasts.

I highly doubt the HDMI-In is part of the graphics card or even that the PC part of the unit has any ability to communicate with the port in any way.

Its simply there so the display part of the unit can be used by external sources, it says exactly that in the sales docs "Use integrated HDMI®-in to attach your favorite console, and then enjoy your games on the gorgeous Ultrabright™ screen of the Gateway® One ZX Series".

It's no different to being able to switch between sources on a regular PC monitor, for example my PC uses the DVI-D input on my monitor and my Xbox uses the HDMI input, I just switch between them using the "Source" button. It's just that this unit has the PC and screen in a single chassis.

Edit:- "I believe its has to do with setting up the software so the card can read the input signal EDIT"
- - - Input from what?

No I was not suggesting a antenna in an hdmi, I was taking about the the antenna plug in near back by the hdmi. The pic shows a plugin for it. It would be nice if the guy would give a picture of the back of his PC and som specs on the capture box he is using there are quite a few turners or receivers that have hdmi input
If you look at the red text I put in, IT APPEARS TO HAVE, I did not mention the antenna sry for that
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 7:15:42 PM

COLGeek said:
Have you contacted Gateway for support on this?

I agree
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 7:24:07 PM

Quote:

- - - Input from what?

turner box like a vivo, or blackmagic tuner capture card/box or receiver.
m
l
Anonymous
January 9, 2013 7:37:46 PM

@ gomer

war10ck7 said:

I think you will find that is for the power input - looking at this high res pic it looks as though the ANT-In is located behind the stand, but as the OP doesn't mention it then one is to assume his model doesn't have a tuner fitted.

http://retailer.gateway.com/Gateway%20Product%20Photos/...

I grow weary of this discussion now, to me it's blatantly obvious that the HDMI-In is there so the screen/display of the unit can be used as a display for an external source. I highly doubt that the port interacts with the PC part of the unit in anyway.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
January 9, 2013 7:51:46 PM

Quote:
@ gomer

I think you will find that is for the power input - looking at this high res pic it looks as though the ANT-In is located behind the stand, but as the OP doesn't mention it then one is to assume his model doesn't have a tuner fitted.

http://retailer.gateway.com/Gateway%20Product%20Photos/...

I grow weary of this discussion now, to me it's blatantly obvious that the HDMI-In is there so the screen/display of the unit can be used as a display for an external source. I highly doubt that the port interacts with the PC part of the unit in anyway.

I totally agree with you
m
l
August 9, 2013 10:50:37 AM

Is there a way that I can add a second monitor with this type of computer?
m
l
August 9, 2013 10:50:39 AM

Is there a way that I can add a second monitor with this type of computer?
m
l
!