Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and Zalman CNPS20LQ

Last response: in Overclocking
August 26, 2012 3:31:02 AM

I recently got my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH all excited and started to build. It was suggested I get the Zalman CNPS20LQ. The board has capacitors right next to the CPU, I don't know if I am doing something wrong but it doesn't look like it will fit although it says it is made for a socket 1155. I have a pic below, I am hoping its just that I don't know what I am doing:

a c 110 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 3:50:50 AM

Looking at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3tHxOD2I78 and how that bracket is actually installed on the cold plate (@ around 4:55), I think it should work just fine. If not, not many, if any, aftermarket coolers would work with that board (which I don't think is the case).
August 26, 2012 4:01:21 AM

I watched that video, those caps are high, They are higher than the plastic pieces that touch the board unless I am missing something. I thougt the same as you, it would make it impossible to get any after market coolers and Gigabyte is not that stupid.
Related resources
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 4:06:31 AM

I'm thinking screw length might have something to do with it, unless the screws are very short. Spacers, maybe?
August 26, 2012 4:24:11 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'm thinking screw length might have something to do with it, unless the screws are very short. Spacers, maybe?

I dont know, I didnt want to screw with it but if it doesnt fit I will just have to fight with Newegg. I am going to give it a shot.
a c 110 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 4:54:33 AM

Wait, are the caps higher than the socket? It's hard to tell from the pic.

If they're not, or they're just even with the socket, then you should still be ok.

The bracket won't need to go any lower than the height of the socket (as in literally needing to touch the board or caps (if they're not higher)) because it looks like it's attached above the contact patch on the cold plate anyway, and the cold plate physically can't be lower than the socket.
a c 149 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 8:07:18 AM

Are you sure that's not supposed to go on the back of the board? Looks like a back plate to me.
August 26, 2012 1:23:20 PM

I got it on. That was the mounting bracket. Once the thing is together it fits. The instructions are terrible. It clears the caps easy.
August 26, 2012 11:47:49 PM

My Cpu temps are really high. I have dual fans on it and the pump plugged into sys fan 2. Cpu fan is plugged in as well. The hoses feel hot near the cpu but not near the radiator. This is a i7 3770k I have on there, it got over 105c and I turned it off. Not sure what to do from here.

a c 110 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 11:53:54 PM

Might need to go ahead and redo the thermal paste and re-seat the cold plate, just to be sure you got everything right.
August 27, 2012 4:27:32 AM

I switched the fans around. The pump was not going. I have the pump going into CPU fan now. I can hear it sputtering away. Temps idle are around 31c. Awesome.

a c 110 K Overclocking
August 27, 2012 4:28:48 AM

Definitely much better. :) 
!