• Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • HD
  • Radeon
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 11:22:32 AM

Hey I'm buying a Radeon HD 7870 and I'm not sure if i should go with reference or non reference cooler.

Reference cards exhaust straight out the back the case while non reference cards exhaust air in the case.
PC Specs are in Signature below.

I have the corsair 500R and have taken off the side 200mm fan because it was noisy and i have no intention to putting back on.

Will i be okay with the non-reference cooler? as it runs quieter?

Card Options:
Non-Reference - Asus Radeon HD 7870 DCII TOP ; Asus Radeon HD 7870 DCII (Non-TOP) ; MSI Radeon HD 7870 HAWK
Reference - (Not Chosen) I dont know any brands except powercolor and diamond :( 

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : reference reference cooler

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 1:33:57 PM

The DCII is one of the best aircoolers available for gfx cards and it does actually push the air out the back of the case, although sealed shrouds are more effient at the job,
the distinction between ref and non-ref cards is down to the layout of the Pcb primarily, its not so much a definition of the cooler attached, its the actual card itself
the main 'problem' most come across on the issue is when watercooling, most non-ref cards don't have full cover blocks available and have to use universal blocks, whereas reference cards usually have a wide selection of fullcover blocks,
by and large you have to check each manufactureres card to see if the deviance from reference design is what you want, more phases, higher clockspeeds from factory or better components used in manufacture for example
Moto
a b K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 1:39:18 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
The DCII is one of the best aircoolers available for gfx cards and it does actually push the air out the back of the case, although sealed shrouds are more effient at the job,
the distinction between ref and non-ref cards is down to the layout of the Pcb primarily, its not so much a definition of the cooler attached, its the actual card itself
the main 'problem' most come across on the issue is when watercooling, most non-ref cards don't have full cover blocks available and have to use universal blocks, whereas reference cards usually have a wide selection of fullcover blocks,
by and large you have to check each manufactureres card to see if the deviance from reference design is what you want, more phases, higher clockspeeds from factory or better components used in manufacture for example
Moto

What about the MSI HAWK?
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 26, 2012 3:03:03 PM

Heres an Oc thread between the two coolers,
http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=...
the general consensus is that they are both great coolers, I know the frozr's are well liked and I own two DCII 6950's, although I've since watercooled them they were always good temps at low noise levels,
I'm not overly familiar with the Msi card range though as I prefer Sapphire and Asus personally
I don't see there being massive differences between the temps with either cooler so its down to which card suits your needs best, best speeds from factory or overclockability?
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 10:27:07 AM

Best answer selected by timarp000.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
September 5, 2012 3:09:11 PM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
Moto