Free Will

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 4, 2005 4:22:28 PM

Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled? I find the game very
hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who has cooking
level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her husband (cooking level
2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare some Mac and Cheese. Sims become
horribly hard to control, does anyone have the courage to play with this
mode on?

More about : free

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:22:29 PM

I play with it on all the time. It gives them something to do with
themselves in the rare moments I don't have their queues full of pending
tasks. My Sims are stupid enough without taking away what little brains they
were programmed with.

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori - Rincewind, The Last Hero, Terry Pratchett

MM

"chris" <chrissss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled? I find the game very
> hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who has cooking
> level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her husband (cooking
level
> 2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare some Mac and Cheese. Sims become
> horribly hard to control, does anyone have the courage to play with this
> mode on?

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:22:29 PM

chris wrote:
> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled? I find the game very
> hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who has
> cooking level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her husband
> (cooking level 2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare some Mac and
> Cheese. Sims become horribly hard to control, does anyone have the
> courage to play with this mode on?

I play with it on but I still direct my Sims a lot. I can't see playing with
it off.

Gareeth
July 4, 2005 4:22:29 PM

"chris" <chrissss@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled?

Playing with it disabled is simply too tedious and wholly uneventful.

I find the game
> very hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who
> has cooking level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her
> husband (cooking level 2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare
> some Mac and Cheese. Sims become horribly hard to control, does
> anyone have the courage to play with this mode on?

It doesn't take courage to play a computer game.

--
Mike
Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?

chris wrote:

> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled?

Yes - all the time.

> I find the game very hectic to play with this turned on.

Yes, but you don't have to take care of everything.

> Sims become horribly hard to control,

Probably, but you don't have to control their every move with Free Will
enabled. That is a great advance in a buzy family, where other sim can
go to work, go to school or start fullfilling some needs while you are
dealing with one sim.

Furthermore, the Free Will adds some excitements to what the sims might
be up to next. They might even do things you can not ask them to do -
like looking out the window or stealing back gnomes.

Best regards,
Boerge
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:22:29 PM

I always play with free will on.

I generally tell my sims what to do anyway, but sometimes they'll go do
somethign and I'll let them do it.
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:22:29 PM

It's the default setting so I should imagine most people play with it on. I
do but at times when I can't keep an eye on the fridge (because that habit
of just cooking for themselves is really annoying), I turn it round to face
the wall. That really pisses them off. I always do that when the family
has a nanny - she's forever feeding herself expensive meals if you don't. I
let her feed the kid(s), which she usually wants to do first, and then turn
the fridge round for the rest of the day.

There are some hacks that deal with this - one prevents any sim from cooking
for themselves and another, I think, stops them using the fridge without
permission (maybe I should get that one).

Best wishes
Maxon

"chris" <chrissss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled? I find the game very
> hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who has cooking
> level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her husband (cooking
level
> 2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare some Mac and Cheese. Sims become
> horribly hard to control, does anyone have the courage to play with this
> mode on?

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 7:49:05 PM

Maxon wrote:

> There are some hacks that deal with this - one prevents any sim from cooking
> for themselves and another, I think, stops them using the fridge without
> permission (maybe I should get that one).
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

I have that "No Autonomy Fridge" from Simlogical, and I love
it. Use it every time there's more than one sim in the
household. I just wish it came in different colors.

Laura
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:16:18 AM

I never once considered turning off Free Will because I feel that for
the most part, most of my sims should be allowed to do what they want
when I'm busy doing other things like maybe directing the actions of
another sim.

For the most part, I don't mind my sims cooking their own meals since
it helps improve their cooking skill, plus I've never had any of my
sims hire a nanny. However I'll admit that it is annoying when I've
already told another sim to cook a meal for everyone, or when a sim at
college decides to fix a meal for themselves when the dorm cook has
already prepared plenty of meals for the dorm residents. With that in
mind, I'll remember your idea of placing the fridge door against the
wall if I've got someone preparing a meal for everyone. As for my
dorm sims, it might be a good idea for me to keep All the dorm fridge
doors facing walls unless I actually want one of my sims to cook
something...

Unfortunately due to prior serious game hack conflicts, I now actually
try to limit the number of game hacks I use in the game. With that in
mind, I'm currently forced to keep my sims computer on a small table
with the screen facing a wall to keep my sims from constantly playing
computer games when they should be doing other things. :(  Strangely
enough, my dorm sims don't seem to be all that interested in playing
computer games, they seem to have better things to do with their free
time. ^_^ However I'm not YET ready to get a hack to limit/stop my
sims from playing computer games at home.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 09:57:37 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>It's the default setting so I should imagine most people play with it on. I
>do but at times when I can't keep an eye on the fridge (because that habit
>of just cooking for themselves is really annoying), I turn it round to face
>the wall. That really pisses them off. I always do that when the family
>has a nanny - she's forever feeding herself expensive meals if you don't. I
>let her feed the kid(s), which she usually wants to do first, and then turn
>the fridge round for the rest of the day.
>
>There are some hacks that deal with this - one prevents any sim from cooking
>for themselves and another, I think, stops them using the fridge without
>permission (maybe I should get that one).
>
>Best wishes
>Maxon

That's my 2ยข,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 4:22:26 AM

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:22:28 +1000, chris <chrissss@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone actually play with Free Will enabled? I find the game very
> hectic to play with this turned on. For example the sim who has cooking
> level 9 (almost 10) prepares dinner, only to have her husband (cooking
> level
> 2) go to the fridge and begin to prepare some Mac and Cheese. Sims become
> horribly hard to control, does anyone have the courage to play with this
> mode on?

Always. Also I generally allow Sims to make their own meals. It may be
more expensive, but it helps them build cooking skills, which are useful
in many careers. I tend to control my Sims a lot, but in truth they also
get along fine without me... at least if they have an alarm clock, a fire
alarm and a burglary alarm! I mostly meddle because I want my Sims to
always be happy and reach their life goals. If I don't play guardian
angel, their lives will be random and without purpose like many real
humans.

good sign." -G
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 8:25:32 PM

> Sims become
> horribly hard to control, does anyone have the courage to play with this
> mode on?

I've never turned it off.
!