Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AVERATEC 3220H1 - Need Your Opinion On Buy

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
July 28, 2004 1:25:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
plus or minus

thanks much

Mike
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 1:49:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
> plus or minus
>
> thanks much
>
> Mike

Further to what Yousuf posted, the keyboard is a serious issue if you
have average sized male hands. The backspace key is a problem for
anyone given its location and very small size, both my opinion, my
wife's, and another female friend with very small hands. Other than
that, I think Averatec is good value from my wife's extensive
experience. I also think it good value, but am unable to fit my hands
to the keyboard comfortably or reliably. Touch typing is impossible for
me.

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 6:50:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Mike" <mybuziness@mydomain.com> wrote in message
news:p 20eg0hkeqqie1aftood0d9bk6h93au186@4ax.com...
>
> contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
> plus or minus
>


5 minuses -- unless you're
ready to buy a product that
has zero support.



dk
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 7:41:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mike wrote:
> contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
> plus or minus
>
> thanks much

Not bad, bought one of my uncles one of these a few months back. It had a
slower Athlon XP-M processor than what it comes with now, and it had a
802.11b wi-fi rather than the 802.11g that it has now. More memory too. Go
for it, it's not bad, though it's so tiny, you might find the keyboard a
little cramped.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 9:50:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Quaoar wrote:
> Further to what Yousuf posted, the keyboard is a serious issue if you
> have average sized male hands. The backspace key is a problem for
> anyone given its location and very small size, both my opinion, my
> wife's, and another female friend with very small hands. Other than
> that, I think Averatec is good value from my wife's extensive
> experience. I also think it good value, but am unable to fit my hands
> to the keyboard comfortably or reliably. Touch typing is impossible
> for me.

Add a keyboard to it, when not on the road, with one of the three available
USB 2.0 ports. :-)

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 10:59:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Yousuf Khan wrote:
> Quaoar wrote:
>> Further to what Yousuf posted, the keyboard is a serious issue if you
>> have average sized male hands. The backspace key is a problem for
>> anyone given its location and very small size, both my opinion, my
>> wife's, and another female friend with very small hands. Other than
>> that, I think Averatec is good value from my wife's extensive
>> experience. I also think it good value, but am unable to fit my
>> hands to the keyboard comfortably or reliably. Touch typing is
>> impossible for me.
>
> Add a keyboard to it, when not on the road, with one of the three
> available USB 2.0 ports. :-)
>
> Yousuf Khan

One can do that, it has three USB2 ports, but that defeats the purpose
of a small form laptop which is ultimate portability. The keyboard will
have a footprint equivalent to the laptop itself. It is a very good
working computer, but one must with this keyboard, make certain that it
will not be an albatross around the neck (an albatross is much larger
than an external keyboard!)

Q

Q
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 1:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
news:BuednSAQCsDVv5rcRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> Mike wrote:
> > contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
> > plus or minus
> >
> > thanks much
> >
> > Mike
>
> Further to what Yousuf posted, the keyboard is a serious issue if you
> have average sized male hands. The backspace key is a problem for
> anyone given its location and very small size, both my opinion, my
> wife's, and another female friend with very small hands. Other than
> that, I think Averatec is good value from my wife's extensive
> experience. I also think it good value, but am unable to fit my hands
> to the keyboard comfortably or reliably. Touch typing is impossible for
> me.
>

Can you comment on the display, which I found somewhat washed out in the store,
compared to others; and also on the touch pad which seemed imprecise to me,

Adam
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 1, 2004 7:14:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Adam Helberg wrote:
> Can you comment on the display, which I found somewhat washed out in
> the store, compared to others; and also on the touch pad which seemed
> imprecise to me,

I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the display, nor the
touchpad, but those are of course subjective matters.

Yousuf Khan
August 9, 2004 1:09:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Adam Helberg" <sendspamhere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:TAUOc.4585$9Y6.67@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:BuednSAQCsDVv5rcRVn-vg@comcast.com...
> > Mike wrote:
> > > contemplating purchase by end of month - need opinions from group -
> > > plus or minus
> > >
> > > thanks much
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > Further to what Yousuf posted, the keyboard is a serious issue if you
> > have average sized male hands. The backspace key is a problem for
> > anyone given its location and very small size, both my opinion, my
> > wife's, and another female friend with very small hands. Other than
> > that, I think Averatec is good value from my wife's extensive
> > experience. I also think it good value, but am unable to fit my hands
> > to the keyboard comfortably or reliably. Touch typing is impossible for
> > me.

In all fairness, the keyboard on the 3220 series is a big improvement over
the 3150's keyboard. While still far from being a great keyboard, they've
fixed a few of the most maddening problems, such as the small backspace key.
Yes, it is still a cramped keyboard overall but it has improved.

>
> Can you comment on the display, which I found somewhat washed out in the
store,
> compared to others; and also on the touch pad which seemed imprecise to
me,

I actually think the display on my 3150 is fine (and it's likely the same
screen on the 3220's). I'm sure it's not the best, if you put it
side-by-side with pricier models, but I've found it to be fine for me.
YMMV.

-Jonathan
!