Sign in with
Your question

Enabling USB Storage Function in BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 104 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 1:47:21 AM

Hi everyone,

Have a GA-P55A-UD7 Motherboard with the latest BIOS update F6 and just installed Windows-7 Ultimate, and the Gigabyte chipset drivers. All went well.

I have a single WD 1TB IDE HDD, and one DVD which the BIOS recognizes properly.
In the Device Manager under the Disk Drives there are listed:
The WD HDD as expected
The DVD burner as expected
4 listings of "Generic STORGE DEVICE USB Device"

Enumerated under Portable Devices in the Device Manager are listed:
E:\
F:\
G:\
H:\

In the BIOS under Integrated Peripherals, the USB Storage Function was "Enabled" by default
I "Disabled" the USB Storage Function to see if that would remove the 4 USB generic STORAGE DEVICE USB entried but it did not. Entries are always there after multiple reboots

In the Control Panel Disk Management Section of Win-7 there is listed also
The WD HDD Partitioned, with Unallocated space as expected
Under Devices with Removable Storage are listed
DVD Drive as expected
Removable Disc E, Removable Disc F, Removable G, Removable H. which are not expected. There are no other storage devices attached!

Question is why are those USB storage entries showing up? Were never present with Win XP.

Could they have been enumerated when the USB Storage Funcion was "Enabled"?
I disable the Hi Speed USB 3 NEC D720200F1 Controller as a trial but that didn't remove them on reboot.

Should I just remove their designated Drive Letter in the Disk Management so they are not allocated a specific drive letter?
Or are they supposed to be listed that way with a Gigabyte P55A-UD7 Motherboard?
Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

a b G Storage
a c 78 V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 2:18:59 AM

Have you added a multi-card reader? They will often show a drive for each port whether or not a card is present in the port(s).

You can change the assigned letters in Disk Manager so Windows will always assign those letters to each of them.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 3:23:47 PM

Treefrog07, you are really good! I had forgotten about the Vantec internal multicard reader (58 in 1) installed on one of the Internal USB headers!

It has 4 slots, CF/MD, MS, SD/MMC, & XD/SM which must be reporting each to the OS as a mass storage device from 1 USB connector

Is there any advantage/disadvantage in mapping them to empty subfolders, called say (Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Secure Digital, Smart Media) of an empty Folder called MultiMed Readers on the C:\ Drive, vs assigning each a separate drive letter, say W, X, Y, Z and naming each volume, so they don't interfere with drive letter assignments of HDD partitions and CD/DVD drives?

I am assuming either way when you insert a "card" with data into any of the slots, the standard dialog box would pop up asking you where you would like to store the data - but don't know that with certainty.
m
l
!