Sign in with
Your question

Is there an incompatibility between gainward 9500gt and SyncMaster 940

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 10, 2010 7:41:59 PM

I'm trying to connect my new pc with a SyncMaster 940bw monitir. The screen stays black, both during setup (BIOS) and winxp, even though the systems seems to run uninterrupted.

Can it be that an incompatiblity exist between my graphics card (gainward 9500gt 512MB GDDR2) and my monitor?

I check the pc in a lab and all harware devices work flawless.

Ran
January 10, 2010 7:53:20 PM

There should be no such incompatibility.

What do you mean when you say "I check the pc in a lab and all harware devices work flawless. " What kind of specific testing did this entail.

Did you try your PC with another monitor, your monitor with another PC.

Did you just build/upgrade this pc? Could you provide us with the full system specs.
January 11, 2010 5:09:40 AM

Thanks, scudst0rm.

The pc is a brand new unit. Its full system specification is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G intel P43
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz
Samsung 1TB 32 MB 7200RPM
Seasonic SS-500ET Active PFC
Transcend 2GB DDR2 800
Samsung DVD-RW SH-S223F x22
Gainward 9500GT 512MB GDDR2
Compucase 6A19 Black NO PSU

When I brought my new pc home, and tried to operate it, I saw all the light and heard the noice of a working unit, but the screen stayed black. I brought it to the lab of the store where I've ordered it. The technician switched all abovemention items (excluding the MB and the monitor, which was left at home), and found no fault in any of the items. Therefore, he put all original items back. Surprisingly, the system started working normally.
I brought the pc back home and connected to my SyncMaster 940bw monitor. The unit started, no signs of any BIOS related steps showed up. Still, when windows xp (SP3) phase was reached, it continued in a normal fashion.
I brought the computer once again back to the lab. The technician checked it throughly (I was out of lab while testing took place, but the system was under testing for 5 hours. (I asked the technician which checkup programs were used and he mentioned the following, which may or may not be the exact list used: Furemark 1.65, OCCT 2.0, Orthos, CPUz 1.53.

If I missed any needed information, please let me know and I'll try to provide it.

Ran
January 11, 2010 5:58:43 AM

Hook up the SyncMaster 940 to a friends pc and see if its working.
January 11, 2010 6:09:31 AM

Is the SyncMaster a "plug and play" monitor? If not, you have to manually specify the resolutions. Try booting in safe mode.
January 11, 2010 6:44:42 AM

flabbergasted said:
Hook up the SyncMaster 940 to a friends pc and see if its working.

The SyncMaster 940 is working perfectly' as a matter of fact I'm using it this moment (plugged to my older pc) while writing my answer.

To-night I'm going to try my new ("probelematic") pc with an alternative monitor.
January 11, 2010 6:46:14 AM

rsmith13 said:
Is the SyncMaster a "plug and play" monitor? If not, you have to manually specify the resolutions. Try booting in safe mode.

I blieve it is. Still, even if it's not, I have no access to Safe Mode since all I can see all along is a black screen.
January 11, 2010 11:36:29 AM

Try using a different video card with your new MB and see if it works.
January 11, 2010 6:41:37 PM

flabbergasted,
You seem to concur with my suspicion that the problem stems from an incompatibility between my video card and my monitor. The response I got for this idea was rejection.
I don't have a card to try this idea, but strangely enough, I connected my pc to another samsung monitor, a syncmaster 173v and it work falwlessly.

January 11, 2010 6:43:49 PM

scudst0rm said:
There should be no such incompatibility.

What do you mean when you say "I check the pc in a lab and all harware devices work flawless. " What kind of specific testing did this entail.

Did you try your PC with another monitor, your monitor with another PC.

Did you just build/upgrade this pc? Could you provide us with the full system specs.

I manged to test my pc with another monutor, this time a samsung syncmaster 173v and it does work perfectly
!