• ATI HD4890 1GB + Intel Core2 Duo E8500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Wensbane

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hi everyone! I'm facing a bit of a dilemma here and would like some help. I'm trying to upgrade my gaming PC, because I feel it struggles a bit (ok, a lot) while running some of the games I've bought recently, like Dawn of War 2 and Left 4 Dead 2.

I'm not looking to run these games at max. settings, I'm just looking to get a smooth experience (average of 30+ FPS) with medium/high settings, using a 1680x1050 resolution. Good performance with decent visual quality... I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Also, keep in my mind that I normally don't do any kind of work on this PC, it is simply for gaming. I don't multi-task a lot, either.

My current system is as follows:
ASUS P5K-SE
4GB Team Xtreem DDR2
Geforce 8800GT
Intel C2D E6400 (OC'd to 3.2)
LC Power 550W Silent Giant

The problem is that my budget is a little short at the moment (rough year) and I don't think this is the right time to build a grade A system. As such, I am only looking to replace my really old CPU and, of course, my GPU. Without spending more than 300/350€.

My question is (and this is going by the ridiculously high portuguese prices), should I get:

Option 1: ATI HD5770 1GB (130€) + Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (220€)?
Option 2: ATI HD5850 1GB (200€) + Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 (150€)?
Option 3: ATI HD4890 1GB (150€) + Intel Core2 Duo E8500 (130€)?
Option 4: Something else within that budget (I'm willing to stay with Nvidia, but their options seem a bit pricy right now)?

Or should I simply accept that Socket 775 is dead and start saving up for a whole new system (i7, DDR3, new mobo, new PSU, new coolers, new HDD... the works)?
The problem is that it could take quite a while to do that, to be honest, and there are several games about to be released that I would really like to play properly (like Mass Effect 2 and Aliens vs Predator). Any suggestions? :)

I voted something else because the 775 being dead, especially with the new i3s being released.

I wouldn't want to spend any money on an Intel CPU that isn't either the i5-750 or i7-920. In addition, there aren't any nVidia GPU options that are worth anything right now, but Fermi is supposed to be out in a few months, and that may change the market (I doubt it). So, I'd start saving up. You probably don't need to do an entire new, just most of it.

p55ibexpeak

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Option 2 would be the best out of the 3, but as said, LGA 775 is dead. There won't be any more new chips. You're just prolonging the inevitable - major overhaul. The Q9400 is not great for gaming, but with overclocking (i doubt it can beat out Q9550 in overclocking), it will last a bit while. By the end of year, you'll be asking the same question.

Save up for AM3 (best cpu upgrade path) or i5 (SLI + CF on some mobos).

djg9205

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Depending on how quickly and cheaply you want to be able to play said games, you might try just upgrading your video card for the time being. Don't spend any more money on a 775 processor. If you're not multitasking or using the PC for anything else besides gaming, Id be willing to bet that your graphics card is most of the bottleneck. Especially seeing the kind of games your playing, and the resolution and settings you want them at, I can see your current card struggling a bit.

IMO, pick up a 5770 to throw in there right now, then when you finally get around to building an i7 system you can just transfer that card over, and budget allowing, get another one to CrossFire it with.

Wensbane

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Alright, I think I'll just buy a 5770, which should be good enough for now, then slowly start aiming for a socket AM3 system with CrossFire capabilities. It sounds like the most cost effective solution.

Thanks a lot everyone! :)

+1 ^ well put < gets my vote

TRENDING THREADS