Gaming laptop

Greetings, all. I'm looking to buy a decent gaming laptop for around $3,500 (CAD). More than two weeks ago I placed an order with Dell for an Alienware M17X with the following specs:

Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz-2.8 GHz (in Turbo Mode)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossfireX
500GB 7,200RPM SATA-II HDD
8X DVD+/-RW DL,QS,CNB

Admittedly, this machine was closer to $4,000.

I've since cancelled the order for various reasons -- one of which the length of time it was taking them to put the thing together. They estimated about a month.

So, I'm back to the drawing board.

I've tried the Toshiba Qosmio, but the keyboard layout is just different enough to mess me up -- if that was the only machine I'd be using, I could get used to it. But I have a standard keyboard on my desktop. So, I took that back.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about gaming laptop
  1. ... incidentally, the game I'd be using it for at present is "Age of Conan" and "Mortal Online".
  2. why not hp dv6. you get 1gb ati graphics with that .. its worth paying for
  3. Thanks for the quick reply! My understanding is the HP boxes don't have full 1080p resolution. Does the HP DV6? (I need that for work -- I'll be using this box for work as well.)
  4. well according to good budget i would recommend dv6. i dont have enough info about 1080p resolution but the video playback is just fine . its good for gaming as well as work.
  5. Based on some research, I ended up buying the Asus G73JH-A2 for $1699 (CAD): Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz Quad Core, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080 LED, 8GB DDR3, 1TB (2x500GB) HDD, ATI RADEON HD 5870 1GB GDDR5.

It was considerably cheaper than the Alienware I was considering, or even the Qosmio.

Just configuring it now ... if it isn't all it's cracked up to be, I'll post here ...
  6. !smart move.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Gaming