Sign in with
Your question

Potential hard drive issues? Possibly related to freezing?

Last response: in Storage
January 8, 2012 11:14:51 PM

Greetings,

Recently my parents' computer has been freezing up occasionally. At first I thought this was due to an overheating graphics card, but the problem persisted even after cleaning out the card.

Out of curiousity, I ran the hard drive test that came with SpeedFan, and there were a number of things that worried me.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/ynb9z.png.

Is there anything I should be worrying about here? Could this be the reason the computer is freezing up occasionally? If there actually isn't a problem with the hard drive, how should I proceed with troubleshooting the freezing issue?

Thanks.
a b U Graphics card
a b G Storage
January 9, 2012 12:27:43 AM

It looks like your parents have an old HDD. I'd watch for failures, and absolutely would back it up NOW. But it doesn't need to be replaced unless the freezing is intollerable. If it is a real concern than you need to replace the HDD.
m
l
January 9, 2012 12:39:15 AM

chesteracorgi said:
It looks like your parents have an old HDD. I'd watch for failures, and absolutely would back it up NOW. But it doesn't need to be replaced unless the freezing is intollerable. If it is a real concern than you need to replace the HDD.

Thanks for the response. The computer is quite old; about 8 years I'd say, though the HD is only about 4. I had been planning on doing a reformat, but seeing as how the HD is dying, I'll wait and get a new HD first.
m
l
!