Seagate GoFlex Desk 2TB- I/O device error

Status
Not open for further replies.

st2

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I have a problem with my Seagate GoFlox Desk external 2 TB hard drive.

Everything worked fine, until I plug it in and suddenly I notice autoplay doesn't work & when I click on Computer & where it used to say "Seagate GoFlex N:/", it now says "Local Disk N:/".

I had about 1 TB of space used.. Now when I check properties it says 0b free/0b available, yet Disk Management says

Disk 5
Unknown
1863.02 GB 1863.02 GB
Not initialized Unallocated
(has a black line now instead of a blue line)

I've spent dozens of hours searching online for help fixing this.
After over an hour on the phone with a Seagate tech, the guy told me it is an easy fix with a Partition Recovery program, which there are a bunch of free ones online.
I've tried 4 of them.. None will FIND a partition "to recover"... I'm stumped & crushed.. I dont want to do anything that further risks losing data, if it isn't already gone.

Seagate is sending a replacement drive, but I want all my 10+ years of family pics/vids before I send my unit back. Can anyone please help me? I appreciate & look forward your responses. Thank you!

st2

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
No. They sent me a replacement & want me to send the bad unit in. There goes over 10 years of family pics & vids... I trusted Seagate & put all my data on their 2tb external hd. Then the "arm" went bad within a few months? What a POS. *Disgusted & totally heartbroken*

GmanDan

Honorable
May 6, 2012

I agree with POS statement st2; I am having the same issue with the same device...was working just fine last night and just totally locked up my computer after Windows Updates came in overnight...went open the drive and received a cannot find specified drive error...I have two seagate drives and they are both toast a 1tb and 2tb both with all my media, professional photos and music and everything gone on the 1tb but the files are there just empty...the other 2tb computer wont recognize it...it almost seems like I got drive-by hacked. But thats a lot of files. the 2tb is no longer detectible in windows...but when I unplug it and plug it in in device manager there it is...it says the driver is ok...so I am at loss I even downloaded new seagate software but it is by memeo and you have to pay for it...***...big ***!

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I feel your pain, really do... but that's why it's important to keep backups of such data. HDDs aren't fail-safe, regardless of manufacturer.

As you only had it for a couple of months, doesn't Seagate offer some kind of rescue/recovery service?

st2

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Im going to make sure to leave a product review at Walmart & on their website. It appears that Seagate has produced a great deal of bad devices that has left people devastated. Im almost tempted to talk to an attorney & file a class action lawsuit against them. They will prob have a clause saying they aren't responsible for information stored on the their devices, but I bet it will gain a lot of big attention with WalMart & the Better Business Bureau about selling crap devices that repeatedly has left countless people heartbroken, & angry.

pdxalex

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I hate to break it to you, but I'm fairly certain all drive manufacturers have a clause stating they're not liable for any loss of data. You could just as easily have experienced the same issue with another manufacturer.

It's an electronic/mechanical device. Things fail, that's life. Backing up valuable data is computing 101. Sorry, sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

twest333

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
"

If you have all of your data on 1 device , its NOT backed up. It needs to be on 2 devices, period. THEN you have a backup! Do not "Trust" your important data on 1 device. I think mostly all of us who have worked with technology have learned this the hard way. You can preach data backup to most people till the cows come home, but until they lose some valuable data, they don't get the backup religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.