Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Just started up an old Dell 510 with a 4670 GPU. I last used it about 3 months ago and it was fine. When I started it up the GPU fan would spin up to speed then cycle down.It keeps repeating this whenever I try to start the PC and I get nothing on my screen. Does this usually happen when the fan or card itself is bad. Can i replace the fan itself or is it even worth it for a GPU that old.Thanks

Solution
Not the fan. That would not cause a blank screen unless the card is overheating, but you stated no signal from the start. It could be a motherboard issue, but is most likely a faulty card. If it's an old Dell, I would look for a cheap replacement graphics card.

cmichael138

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Not the fan. That would not cause a blank screen unless the card is overheating, but you stated no signal from the start. It could be a motherboard issue, but is most likely a faulty card. If it's an old Dell, I would look for a cheap replacement graphics card.

Solution

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

I think you are right. I should have told you I already removed the card and the PC booted up.I reconnected my screen to onboard graphics and also changed the the bios menu to use onboard but monitor shows windows booting and then suddenly shows message "vide signal out of range" or something similar.Should I try to start in safe mode to change video settings to lowest settings. I assume settings may be set to high as they were set for the 4670.Thanks

Did you try reseating the 4670?
I wonder if you've got bad caps causing a power problem...a fan ramping up and down, up and down, sounds strange, and like cmichael said, wouldn't cause a blank screen unless there was some other underlying cause.
The mere passage of time is more likely to kill capacitors or corrode a connection than outright kill a GPU.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Not yet.I had to leave in the middle of setting it up.I'll try reseating it tomorrow and if that does not work i have an old 3650 and 3450 I can try.I'll let you know what happens then.Thanks

TRENDING THREADS