Upstairs Router. Downstairs signal strength

hachiman

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I have a Belkin G router upstairs and so far had no problems connecting other devices to it downstairs such as laptops and mobile phones.

However i bought my son a PC at xmas to play games on and he's getting a lot of lag and disconnects. The signal strength comes up on his pc as poor to fair.

I went and bought a Belkin N router and adapter as i thought this would address the issue but i'm still getting the same signal levels.

I've even moved the router closer to the upstairs bedroom door so it is nearer the stairs, but no difference.

Anything i can do or buy?

Thanx

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Ugh, I hate wireless. I used to have to train people to use VPN, and the ones who had all the trouble were almost always trying to use wireless from one room to another. Wireless introduces signal fluctuations, and security issues that you just don't get from using a good old network cable.

Just do what any self-respecting tech does, and get a real man to drill an ugly great hole in the ceiling so you can run a thirty-metre Cat 6 Ethernet cable from the modem/router to the PC that needs a reliable internet connection.

TRENDING THREADS