Wired connection vs using both wireless and wired connections

Alberio

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Does simultaneously using both Ethernet connection and a wireless connection to the modem helps internet speed?

I'm using a laptop and usually I'm on the internet wireless. Sometimes I get out the Ethernet cord and plug it in to the modem, just so I (think) can download faster or lower my ping rate while gaming. I already checked the charts on bytes received/sent using the task manager, and it said that both connections were being used, but I don't know much in the area of networking and all.
I need to know from someone if I'm actually just assuming what I was doing is right, or I'm being stupid.

If both wireless and wired are connected to the same network (e.g., 192.168.1.x), then Windows will only use ONE of those two networks. The other is completely ignored. So having both connected at the same time is pointless. In fact, it may actually degrade performance since Windows, when faced w/ a choice of two equally valid paths to the same network, will always choose the one listed first under Network Connections->Advanced->Advanced Settings->Adapters and Bindings->Connections, and that may be the lesser performer. Of course, you can reorder them if you like. But it's just easier to make sure that whichever connection you want to use, you disable the other.

Alberio

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks! and the to Marilyngaines: a network key is the key located somewhere on your modem, the thing that connects you to the internet. Its like your personal password to access the internet, by how I view it.

Selenarious

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
eibgrad,

I'm connecting to the same internet service provider on my laptop, via both ethernet and wireless. I've given priority to LAN.

The address of the ethernet one is 192.168.2.8 and the wireless is 192.168.2.3. So since the first three "parts" of the address is the same it will only use the LAN, and not the wireless?

Because looking at the Speed in their respective connection statues, it says 100.0 Mbps for the LAN connection, and only 54.0 Mbps for the wireless, which makes me wonder that the wireless might actually be doing part of the connecting to the internet.

Thanks in advance!

HalfCalf31

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

This might be a little late, but the only way I know how to is with a Cisco router. Cisco routers are able to make two connections to one device, so if you want to use two Ethernet connections, or Ethernet and a WiFi connection, you should see an increase in network speeds. What you're looking for is either unequal cost path load balancing, or equal cost path load balancing. Hope this help