Would it be worth it for me to water cool my Crossfire setup?

beethree

Honorable
May 23, 2012
Hello!

So, as you can see my pc specs are at the bottom of this post. I use it for more than just gaming and the CPU cooler I have lets me overclock my 3930K. I was being safe with the overclock I did.

So I have the two 7970's and while I know winter is coming up, I have an issue when putting on games like Guild Wars 2 or Battlefield 3 in which the heat coming from the computer has a tendency to warm my feet. So, I knew at some point I wanted to do multiple monitors, and now I am thinking of getting a couple waterblocks, along with a water cooling system in hopes that it runs smoother.

I love my cards, so spare the flame! They run great, I just want to maybe push them a little harder and do it in a quiet way. So far I have though of these waterblocks. (for pure sexiness!)

http://www.swiftech.com/KOMODO-HD7900.aspx

I don't mind the price either for just the water blocks.

But till, I can't help but wonder, is it worth it to do it? And if so I hae an NZXT Phantom Full Tower case, white with red trim, all of the fans have red LED lights (red is my favorite color) so what type of pump/reservior would fit the color scheme? What are good ones? Bad ones? It would be my first time delving into water cooling of this nature. Does the solution matter? What is the best ones?

I don't worry about price too much, so long as it isn't overdoing it.

Solution
What type or size radiator would you go for, with dual graphics?
This is covered in great detail within the sticky. Basically, it comes down to total watercooling TDP...in your case, CPU+GPU+GPU TDP = ? Then find a radiator(s) accordingly. You can also calculate radiator capacity with some simple calculations within the sticky.

If your system goes into sleep mode, does it also affect the water cooling system? And is that healthy? (I like having my computer go silent at night, since it is in my room)
Do you mean a rested, powered down state with data written to RAM and HDD? Basically, any time the system 'turns off' your pump and fans shut off as well. This is fine.

On reservior type, for two graphics cards does...

beethree

Honorable
May 23, 2012
I only got so much from the sticky. I read it a couple months ago when I was building this computer to try to get an understanding. Just was wondering cause I don't want to try to overcompensate for something I don't need to worry about. (It is going to be just for the CPU's.

If your system goes into sleep mode, does it also affect the water cooling system? And is that healthy? (I like having my computer go silent at night, since it is in my room)

On reservior type, for two graphics cards does it have to be huge?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This is covered in great detail within the sticky. Basically, it comes down to total watercooling TDP...in your case, CPU+GPU+GPU TDP = ? Then find a radiator(s) accordingly. You can also calculate radiator capacity with some simple calculations within the sticky.

Do you mean a rested, powered down state with data written to RAM and HDD? Basically, any time the system 'turns off' your pump and fans shut off as well. This is fine.

On reservior type, for two graphics cards does it have to be huge?
Reservoir size doesn't matter in a loop; a larger res simply holds more water and takes a little longer to reach working equilibrium, but isn't something that makes much difference.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS