Sign in with
Your question

SATA HDD and SSD not seen in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2012 1:11:06 AM

Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB (64MB cache) and Crucial m4 2.5" 128GB Solid State Drive. Neither are being recognized in BIOS. BIOS does recognize the optical drive (though after pressing the button the light on the front flashes green and the tray does not open). The optical drive is Lite-On iHBS112 12X Internal Blu-Ray Writer (which does also function as BD/DVD/CD reader).

Please note that this was taken in for a diagnosis at a reputable PC store and they told me it was a bad mobo. So I have since replaced the mobo and still have the same problem. I doubt its the mobo. I also doubt its the drives as its highly unlikely that 2 drives be bad and be overlooked during that diagnosis. The mother board currently in there is a Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z LGA 1155 running with a Intel 2600k.

This computer has NO OS but I do have the operating system ready to be installed, which I'm finding impossible as I have no drives to write the OS onto and the optical drive will not read anything. The mobo manual says that without service pack 3 on XP or a higher OS, the SATA drives will not be recognized.

I'm new to the SATA stuff, so I've no idea what is going on. The only lead I have to get this to work is to try and slipstream or use an F6 disk to get this to run, but I'm not sure of that procedure. The OS waiting to be installed is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is anyone more knowledgeable about SATA and how to configure a brand new build to recognize it enough to explain the procedures to me?

Thank you all for the time and effort.

More about : sata hdd ssd bios

a c 265 G Storage
January 9, 2012 10:00:18 PM

You have 2 ports that are not native and you might have to activate in BIOS Marvell controller I would though use the ones that are on the Z68. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...
Have you moved the cables around?
Drive not opening but recognized points to faulty drive, at least it is not a controller issue.
m
l
January 9, 2012 11:03:40 PM

I'm not using the Marvell ports, just the standard 6.0 Gb/s ports, which I think are Intel. I've also tried the 3.0 Gb/s ports. I bought a new optical drive today and that one had the tray eject and loaded Windows installer, so it looks like the other drive is bad, so that's one problem solved.

Win7 install, however, will not find the hard drives either, which I suppose does not come as a surprise. I looked for drivers to activate the SATA ports to recognize hard drives but to no avail. Maybe somebody knows of a driver that needs to be burned and inserted during the install? The disk that came with the hard drive doesn't give Windows any direction, I tried that, as well as looking through the motherboard disk. I was able to get into DOS with the motherboard disk, which allowed me to configure for raid setup (though that also wanted a floppy or disk with certain data on it which I don't have).

I called Asus tech support today. After some switching around and playing around in BIOS some more, they tried to convince me that its a bad board and that the SATA controller isn't working. I find that hard to believe (2 consecutive motherboards in a row with no other malfunction?) and they recognize both optical drives (even though 1 doesn't eject). With no other malfunction, its highly unlikely its an install error. I'm wondering if maybe both the hard drives are bad and not sending data (unlikely but this build has been full of that). Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to test the drives with. I suppose if the tech I took my build to to have it looked out overlooked a bad optical drive, he probably didn't find a bad hard drive either (or 2 for that matter). Exchanging the hard drive is going to be my next step, though I don't think its the drives.

But like I said, maybe I need a drive to get the SATA controller to recognize hard drives. I found in the motherboard manual that it says "You must install windows XP SP3 or later versions before using Serial ATA hard disk drives. You would think that the SATA controller would be active after the Win7 install disk looks for hard drives though, so that's what leads me to believe there may be a driver of sorts for this.
m
l
Related resources
a c 265 G Storage
January 9, 2012 11:23:07 PM

It should be plug and play and no drivers needed apart from windows.
m
l
January 10, 2012 1:45:07 AM

rolli59 said:
It should be plug and play and no drivers needed apart from windows.

That's what I thought and why I'm most confused. I'll be exchanging the hard drives Wednesday in hopes that the build ends there.

Thank you for all the help!
m
l
!