choongi

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
i'm pretty sure my psu is blown/broken or something

is there anyway i can check and what sort of psu would i need to replace it with?

if i just buy a new psu say 700, 800W can i just unplug the cables and plug in the new one?

idejason

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Yes it is just as simple as unplugging the old one and replacing, But before you going spend $90-$140 dollars on a new power supply how long have you had this build for, And please post the PC specs.

choongi

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

erm, its maybe 1/2 years old?

q6600 2.4 ghz
asus p5n32-e sli+ mobo (which might be dodgy too cos i stupidly tried overclocking using ntune)
640mb 8800gts (ditto as above)
4gb ram

i mean its a fairly decent spec pc which i use mostly for gaming, although at the moment its slightly out of commission.

can't remember what wattage my current psu is/was. could this have happened because it wasn't powerful enough?

also, if i'm looking to replace the mobo, is there anything decent for a reasonable amount of money, say 80-100 quid that is compatible with both my current cpu and maybe the i-series cpu's, or do they use completely different sockets?

i series use different sockets.

When overclocked the Q6600 is still a nice CPU. I don't think that anything you could upgrade would give you enough performance increase to make it worth the expense.

PSU died because
1. Inadequate capacity,
2. Inadequate quality, or
3. Just a random failure.

If you had posted PSU specifications, we could make an educated guess.

Overclocking: This is why, for CPU's, we all say, "Learn to use the BIOS". For GPU's, you have no choice but to use a Windows utilty. I do not like overclocking video cards. They tend to run hot enough anyway.

HundredIslandsBoy:
The paperclip trick is not really that useful. If the fan doesn't spin up, it's dead - or there's not quite enough load on it. If it does spin up, all you really know is that it produced enough power somewhere around 12 volts to run a fan. Now, if you have a DMM or a PSU tester, it's a little better. You can check all the voltages, but you still do not know if it will support the electrical load of a computer.