Temperature range p/ core for i7 920

I just built my first PC and owe this forum a big thank you for helping me to choose all the right components.

I have a i7 920 and CoreTemp shows the temperature for each core as

Idle:
Core 0 = 36-38 degrees
Core 1 = 39-41 degrees
Core 2 = 42-44 degrees
Core 3 = 35-38 degrees

Load (Prime95):
Core 0 = 60-62 degrees
Core 1 = 57-60 degrees
Core 2 = 60-63 degrees
Core 3 = 56-58 degrees

Core 2 always runs hotter by 2-6 degrees than Core 3 which tends to run the coolest compared to all the rest. Is this temperature range/difference normal or do I need to reseat the heat-sink with new thermal grease? Thought?

Thanks for your help!!
7 answers Last reply
More about temperature range core
  1. Forgot to mention that I've overclocked the computer and its running at 3.67 Ghz
  2. They all look fine to me really. I'm no expect on how hot the i7's run but I wouldn't be worried at all with those temps. Are you using an aftermarket cooler? It may just help drop the temps a little more.
  3. Those are very good temperatures for an OCed i7. What is your cooler?

My i7 reaches 57'C @ load non-OCed!
  4. I'm using a Corsair H50 as the cooler. It had lots of good reviews and takes up much less space than the huge air coolers.
  5. compaulsive said:
    I'm using a Corsair H50 as the cooler. It had lots of good reviews and takes up much less space than the huge air coolers.

Precisely why I got mine. I can't fit any big tower coolers in my case, else I would have gotten a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (damn that thing's pretty!). It also lowered temps by 10C load from the Core Contact Freezer I had before it, and I even clocked it 200MHz higher.
  6. BTW, what voltage are you running at?
  7. I'm running the CPU at 1.2 v.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel i7 Temperature