Random Windows 7 Freezes

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi There

I have just 3 weeks ago put together a new pc, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit clean install.
I think about 1 week in, i started to experience random freezes, in some occasions random restarting of windows :(

First il let you know my pc..
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
XFX Radeon 5770 1gb
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Corsair 2x2 gb 1333mhz
600 w power supply, should be enough to run my system

The worst thing is that the freezes are random, i can't really pinpoint what the problem could be, it could be anything to me.
I noticed the freezes occur more often when im just doing random stuff on my computer like surfing on the web (Google Chrome) , watching videos on youtube or just using word...
It has actually never occured when i was playing any games. I find it very odd and i researched alot on the internet but as far as i see it could be anything.
I have tried to switch the sockets with the RAM, still freezing (Did the memtest too no failure in the test)
Re-installing and trying out other Firewalls/anti-virus programs, still freezing
Boosted the power supply for the pc by changing from balanced to high perfomance in windows, still freezing
Disable Cool'n'Quite, still freezing
Updating drivers and also degrading drivers for GPU e.g., still freezing
Clean up in windows registry with uniblue registrybooster, guess what still freezing

I really feel like i've done everything but just can't help it :(
After further reading on the web i heard that reinstalling windows would't really help so i haven't done that yet, but im considering it now, because these freezes are driving me crazy.

I really hope someone out there could help me :)

You'll want to be running memtest86 for 6-8 hours. Not just once.

What power supply make and brand do you have? Honestly, 600W means nothing these days.

changing from balanced to high performance does not affect your power supply. It's the windows power saving scheme that adjusts the performance of your parts if they support it or does other things like blank your monitor to save power.

Just reinstall windows. If it reinstalls and it's not fine after that, we will know windows is not the problem.

Try removing your 5770 and using the onboard graphics and let us know if you have the same problem.

Random restarting sounds like a power supply issue. What power supply make and brand do you have?
Can you describe the freezes more? During a freeze can you turn the caps lock light on and off?

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
well maybe you right about the power supply, but i did alot of calculation i it should be more then enough :( so who knows. It just annoys me when im running games that demands alot its totally stable and has never frozen there before? so for me it looks like some kind of software failure? or am I wrong?

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906 <- I pretty much think its that one (The psu i had for longer time then the whole new pc i just bought)

But actually it hasn't frozen today yet, but i might to the reinstalling and then maybe the onboard graphic test...

well the freezes comes suddenly and then nothin can be done, no light on my keyboard can be switched on/off neither can the caps lock light, and if there is music/sound on, it will make that horrible scratch noise when it freezes... then the noise just continues endless till i restart of couse :/

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
yeah i actually checked that, the times when the pc freezes it tells me there was a critical error and under details it tells me windows has restarted without shutting down correctly, the cause could be that windows stopped answering, failed or that the problem could be caused by the power supply.

But yeah the list about critical errors, normal failures and warnings is long :/ :s ?

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
did the repairing, just froze again, 3rd time today. :(

But I noticed in all the freezes im working with the internet. Either doing facebook, youtube or updating my virus database. Also when the freeze occures just after startup of windows, usually the update window just poped-up of my virus database. And after restarting again, it tells me a error occured under the updating (of couse) looks like there is some kind of malware or just an error when my pc is using the internet that could explain why it does not reeze when playing games? hmm any suggestions?

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Okay i dl'd and installed, but it doesn't matter if i scan in windows normally in safe mode with/without internet. It freezes... This starts to be really annoying.
And just now after i tried scanning, i tried starting windows 4-5 times, it froze in the windows loading window :s that is really weird. So maybe its nothin with the internet anyways :( oh man! I also tried reseting mb by removing the little battery and inserting it again, it froze just after again...

There must be a solution :s ?! I might re-install windows today

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Just re-installed windows, everything seems okay now, did alot of updating and stuff where i guess it would have froze before, but we'll see.
@Seogoat, Yep tried the different sticks of memory didn't work. But i might borrow some other ones from my friend and try them if the problem continues.
Il be back with more info in some days

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
.. okay that was fast... already back again, after just 30mins in a new fresh clean windows 7 install it freezes again 25mins into my avast virus scanning. hmm
This looks like a hardware problem?

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
ok this is gettin werid... as i said i tried one ram at the time,, both failed after 20-30 mins... but here just some mins ago it froze again, but then something really weird happend.

It first froze then went black screen, (my screen standby light blinked as there was no conection to my pc) and my fans in my pc started going overspeed !? and it all got really loud :( so i quickly hit power off button. So can't really say whitch fans went crazy but maybe all of them or just cpu or/and gpu .. Im trying the onboard gpu now... :'(

If the same symptom occurs when using 1 at a time, and with both in, it's not likely the RAM. If you've got the time, it doesn't hurt to try. Though, memtest should be ran for 6 or 7 hours. Does it run that long without freezing?

What are the memory voltages set at in the BIOS?

If the onboard video doesn't fix it, try start-->run-->chkdsk /r

Patro

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
doubt the repairing will help, but il give it a shot !

The auto voltage is set to minimum 1.5 i tried set it manually and boost it a bit,, just the same story again..

And the onboard videocard test also failed. Froze when windows was started.
Yeah the problem is last time i tried let it run the memtest it froze after 20min, so most likely it would be a waste of time trying to make them go for 6-7 hours :S but of couse if i find no other solution il might have to try.

Right il try to flash my bios. With all these crashes and blackscreen, and the fans suddenly going warpspeed it sounds like mobo failure, but just my guess. So found a flash that should fix some minor errors, crossing fingers :/