Sign in with
Your question

Random Windows 7 Freezes

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2010 5:04:58 PM

Hi There

I have just 3 weeks ago put together a new pc, I installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit clean install.
I think about 1 week in, i started to experience random freezes, in some occasions random restarting of windows :( 

First il let you know my pc..
Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
XFX Radeon 5770 1gb
AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE
Corsair 2x2 gb 1333mhz
600 w power supply, should be enough to run my system

The worst thing is that the freezes are random, i can't really pinpoint what the problem could be, it could be anything to me.
I noticed the freezes occur more often when im just doing random stuff on my computer like surfing on the web (Google Chrome) , watching videos on youtube or just using word...
It has actually never occured when i was playing any games. I find it very odd and i researched alot on the internet but as far as i see it could be anything.
I have tried to switch the sockets with the RAM, still freezing (Did the memtest too no failure in the test)
Re-installing and trying out other Firewalls/anti-virus programs, still freezing
Boosted the power supply for the pc by changing from balanced to high perfomance in windows, still freezing
Disable Cool'n'Quite, still freezing
Updating drivers and also degrading drivers for GPU e.g., still freezing
Clean up in windows registry with uniblue registrybooster, guess what still freezing

I really feel like i've done everything but just can't help it :( 
After further reading on the web i heard that reinstalling windows would't really help so i haven't done that yet, but im considering it now, because these freezes are driving me crazy.

I really hope someone out there could help me :) 

More about : random windows freezes

a c 131 à CPUs
March 22, 2010 5:49:23 PM

You'll want to be running memtest86 for 6-8 hours. Not just once.

What power supply make and brand do you have? Honestly, 600W means nothing these days.

changing from balanced to high performance does not affect your power supply. It's the windows power saving scheme that adjusts the performance of your parts if they support it or does other things like blank your monitor to save power.

Just reinstall windows. If it reinstalls and it's not fine after that, we will know windows is not the problem.

Try removing your 5770 and using the onboard graphics and let us know if you have the same problem.

Random restarting sounds like a power supply issue. What power supply make and brand do you have?
Can you describe the freezes more? During a freeze can you turn the caps lock light on and off?
March 22, 2010 7:05:29 PM

well maybe you right about the power supply, but i did alot of calculation i it should be more then enough :(  so who knows. It just annoys me when im running games that demands alot its totally stable and has never frozen there before? so for me it looks like some kind of software failure? or am I wrong?

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5906 <- I pretty much think its that one (The psu i had for longer time then the whole new pc i just bought)

But actually it hasn't frozen today yet, but i might to the reinstalling and then maybe the onboard graphic test...

well the freezes comes suddenly and then nothin can be done, no light on my keyboard can be switched on/off neither can the caps lock light, and if there is music/sound on, it will make that horrible scratch noise when it freezes... then the noise just continues endless till i restart of couse :/ 

Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2010 7:22:01 PM

Check the event viewer to see if it's logging any errors.
March 22, 2010 7:31:36 PM

yeah i actually checked that, the times when the pc freezes it tells me there was a critical error and under details it tells me windows has restarted without shutting down correctly, the cause could be that windows stopped answering, failed or that the problem could be caused by the power supply.

But yeah the list about critical errors, normal failures and warnings is long :/  :s ?
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 22, 2010 7:57:29 PM

Try using the repair tools to repair the windows install. If it's a problem in your windows system files, that should fix it.
March 23, 2010 2:24:44 PM

okay thanks! Il do that, will post if it starts freezing again
March 23, 2010 4:07:40 PM

did the repairing, just froze again, 3rd time today. :( 

But I noticed in all the freezes im working with the internet. Either doing facebook, youtube or updating my virus database. Also when the freeze occures just after startup of windows, usually the update window just poped-up of my virus database. And after restarting again, it tells me a error occured under the updating (of couse) looks like there is some kind of malware or just an error when my pc is using the internet that could explain why it does not reeze when playing games? hmm any suggestions?
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2010 4:10:42 PM

On the face of it, either Malware, or an issue with your Anti Virus
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2010 4:39:23 PM

To scan for malware, boot into safe mode with networking (F8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
March 24, 2010 7:20:49 AM

Okay i dl'd and installed, but it doesn't matter if i scan in windows normally in safe mode with/without internet. It freezes... This starts to be really annoying.
And just now after i tried scanning, i tried starting windows 4-5 times, it froze in the windows loading window :s that is really weird. So maybe its nothin with the internet anyways :(  oh man! I also tried reseting mb by removing the little battery and inserting it again, it froze just after again...

There must be a solution :s ?! I might re-install windows today
March 24, 2010 7:57:38 AM

What about trying different sticks of memory or one at a time? Try different memory!
March 24, 2010 9:17:07 AM

Just re-installed windows, everything seems okay now, did alot of updating and stuff where i guess it would have froze before, but we'll see.
@Seogoat, Yep tried the different sticks of memory didn't work. But i might borrow some other ones from my friend and try them if the problem continues.
Il be back with more info in some days
March 24, 2010 9:36:22 AM

.. okay that was fast... already back again, after just 30mins in a new fresh clean windows 7 install it freezes again 25mins into my avast virus scanning. hmm
This looks like a hardware problem?
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 10:58:20 AM

That motherboard has onboard video. Try removing the video card, and see if you are still freezing up.

Does it freeze up and restart or just lock up?
March 24, 2010 1:22:06 PM

okay cheers, il try that.
Right now im trying out my ram's one at a time to see if it should be one of them that could be damaged, after testing them il do the GPU test.

Also i stumbled upon this : http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/microsoft...

Looked very promising and I installed the Hotfix, but didn't help it too bad :( 
March 24, 2010 1:55:59 PM

ok this is gettin werid... as i said i tried one ram at the time,, both failed after 20-30 mins... but here just some mins ago it froze again, but then something really weird happend.

It first froze then went black screen, (my screen standby light blinked as there was no conection to my pc) and my fans in my pc started going overspeed !? and it all got really loud :(  so i quickly hit power off button. So can't really say whitch fans went crazy but maybe all of them or just cpu or/and gpu .. Im trying the onboard gpu now... :'( 
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 1:58:42 PM

When you say they 'failed,' did they fail memtest, prime95..etc? Or did it just freeze up as it has been?

March 24, 2010 1:59:41 PM

they just froze :/  should i do an individual memtest on them?
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 2:04:53 PM

If the same symptom occurs when using 1 at a time, and with both in, it's not likely the RAM. If you've got the time, it doesn't hurt to try. Though, memtest should be ran for 6 or 7 hours. Does it run that long without freezing?

What are the memory voltages set at in the BIOS?

If the onboard video doesn't fix it, try start-->run-->chkdsk /r

March 24, 2010 2:28:32 PM

doubt the repairing will help, but il give it a shot !

The auto voltage is set to minimum 1.5 i tried set it manually and boost it a bit,, just the same story again..

And the onboard videocard test also failed. Froze when windows was started.
Yeah the problem is last time i tried let it run the memtest it froze after 20min, so most likely it would be a waste of time trying to make them go for 6-7 hours :S but of couse if i find no other solution il might have to try.

Right il try to flash my bios. With all these crashes and blackscreen, and the fans suddenly going warpspeed it sounds like mobo failure, but just my guess. So found a flash that should fix some minor errors, crossing fingers :/ 
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 2:35:55 PM

Good luck,
Let us know how it goes.
March 24, 2010 5:30:10 PM

i flashed it, but it froze twice just starting windows up..
Oh man im gettin desperate soon :(  !!
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 6:34:57 PM

Any other PSUs you can test with?
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2010 6:37:35 PM

i doubt this may be the cause of the problem but whats your HDD/SSD(s) and how old is it? If it's an old HDD it could be causing theses freezes.
March 24, 2010 6:44:24 PM

I doubt both actually cuz i can play games totally perfect loading maps and stuff never froze there. so HDD dont think so. and PSU dont think so either, only thing cpu? maybe little risc that it could be HDD

My harddrive samsung 1tb 7200rpm sata
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 6:52:52 PM

Patro said:
yeah i actually checked that, the times when the pc freezes it tells me there was a critical error and under details it tells me windows has restarted without shutting down correctly, the cause could be that windows stopped answering, failed or that the problem could be caused by the power supply.

But yeah the list about critical errors, normal failures and warnings is long :/  :s ?

If it was the hard drive, the chkdsk /r should've found something.

The PSU is just a shot in the dark. Most normal causes have been suggested already. A flaky PSU can cause a lot of weird issues. It was also suggested as a cause in your error.
March 24, 2010 6:56:22 PM

aford10 said:

The PSU is just a shot in the dark. Most normal causes have been suggested already. A flaky PSU can cause a lot of weird issues. It was also suggested as a cause in your error.

Yeah but I compared the critical errors with my friends pc. He got the same errors when he presses the reset button so it totally normal :/  the psu, yeah il get one in the next days and try change it :( 
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2010 7:01:08 PM

aford10 said:

So true. Psu's can make very strange problems.

Well, Keep us posted patro. we'll try to help as much as we can.
March 24, 2010 7:03:06 PM

Okay il give it a try at least.

But yeah great help already thanks guys! :) 
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2010 7:06:18 PM

You're welcome,
Good luck.
March 25, 2010 7:24:01 PM

yeah but in some cases black screenes and then they needed to restart, so i hope i works, and now i overclocked my gpu as suggestet and have been on for 3 hours now doing nothin than watching videos scanning virus surfing,, no crash, so looks good :) 

But il keep you up to date!
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
March 25, 2010 7:31:06 PM

Sounds good.
Thanks for the update.
March 29, 2010 12:37:55 PM

Quick update :) 

Now i dl'd and installed ati's newest driver 10.3.
Its all much better now, but still in rare occasions, it can freeze. But not nearly as bad as before, now i can finally use my pc normally again, i think il make a petition to ati and will let them tell me what problem could be at the moment :) 
May 6, 2013 2:02:49 PM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes
No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers especially the ICH ATA and SATA AHCI ontrollers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.
!