Future-ready Mobo - Open budget

pedrov

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Hi. I'm trying to get some suggestions for a full-sized mobo with good features for upgrading components over time, with the following preferences...

-Ignoring budget for this component.

-I have a PCIe 2.1 x16 vid card in mind, and it would be nice to have the option to add a second one in crossfire down the road.

-I'd like to have a high-end connection for my primary monitor (or HD television), but the connector for a second monitor need only support a CRT or low-end LCD.

-I'm not sure on CPU yet, but the more cores, the merrier. Something that can support the Phenom II x6 would be a good start.

-I want to add as much RAM as the board can take (over time). This might be the biggest priority for upgrading down the road.

-Newer features like SATA 6GB/s and USB 3 would both be great, but not deal breakers.

-I'll be getting a new case for the build, so size isn't a big issue. Excellent heat management and power efficiency are more important.

Thanks!

*If it matters, this build will be for rendering and light gaming.

pedrov

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Update:

I've added specs for other devices in my build. I'll post the build on the system forum as well, and feedback on components is welcome, but I'm especially interested in advice on a motherboard.

Full Tower ATX case

Phenom II x6 core (socket AM3)

SSD boot/OS drive (with SATA 6GB/s, 2.5")

Second drive (slower, SATA 3GB/s, 3.5")

PCIe 2.1 x16 Vid Card... would love to be able to add a second in crossfire down the road (rec: 400W, 500W CF)

650W Power Supply

2 x 4GB RAM DDR3

Oh yeah, will run 64-bit W7 OS