Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP35C-DS3R hangs on Sleep using PCIE_3

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2010 3:04:30 PM

I'm looking for some analysys and advice as to whether I have a motherboard problem.

I recently bought two Hauppauge HVR-2250 TV-capture cards that I installed in PCIE_3 and PCIE_2. (PCIE_1 is obstructed by the fan of the graphics card that is in PCIE_16.) [The order of the card slots in the GA-EP35C-DS3R is (starting closest to the CPU): PCIE_3, PCIE_16, PCIE_1, PCIE_2, PCI1, PCI2, PCI3]

After installing the cards, Windows 7 fails the second attempt to Sleep (the first succeeds). On the second attempt to Sleep, it hangs with the screen black, the fans running, and the hard-drive activity light on solid. At this point, the only remedy is to power down the system and power up again. After the reboot, again the first Sleep succeeds and the 2nd fails. [I've disabled Hybrid Sleep and determined that the problem never occurs using Hibernate, only using pure Sleep.]

I found that if I leave slot PCIE_3 open and plug either one of the 2250's into PCIE_2, Sleep works successfully each and every time. But if I plug either one of the 2250's into PCI_3, the Sleep problem occurs.

I also found that if I have the 2250's plugged into both those PCIE slots but boot linux, it never fails to Suspend (but, I have no TV-capture software installed on linux, so presumably the card in PCIE_3 is powered up, but not initialized by the OS).

So, does this seem to be:
-- some motherboard problem that only exists if the card in PCIE_3 is initialized? (Unfortunately, I don't have another type of PCI Express x1 card to try in that slot to try to answer this question.)
-- some design problem with the HVR-2250 if it's in the last PCIE x1 slot?
-- a HVR-2250 Windows driver problem?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 5:40:23 PM

TorreyToms said:
I'm looking for some analysys and advice as to whether I have a motherboard problem.

So, does this seem to be:
-- some motherboard problem that only exists if the card in PCIE_3 is initialized? (Unfortunately, I don't have another type of PCI Express x1 card to try in that slot to try to answer this question.)
-- some design problem with the HVR-2250 if it's in the last PCIE x1 slot?
-- a HVR-2250 Windows driver problem?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I've built similar media rigs in the past (HDTV + AIW ATI + TV daughter ATI) ; needless to say it was a job to get it all to work. {In my case I manually changed the IRQ value(s) in the device manager}

Clearly, this is really a (2X) HVR-2250 problem and less of a MOBO issue. I suggest you start there first - http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.h...
!