Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard vs. Expansion Cards

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2010 3:24:20 PM

When I purchased my desktop I had Upgrade in mind. Athlon II x4 620 along with a Asus M4A79XTD EVO.
Packed a 295 GTX on 4g Ram(mid range abit) Top end OCZ psu and a CoolerMaster with 6 fans added.
Plan is and was to wait out all this time for SATA 3 and USB 3. I plan to drop the proc and get a 965 black and get the G.Skill’s Trident DDR3-2000 as recommended by this site and drop it down to 1600. I would like to get a fast SSD Sata3 for the main drive.

Question is should I upgrade the Mobo or just get an add on USB3/SATA3 card for 40$. I don't plan to run more then 1 video card ever and am quite happy with the performance I have had and will have with the 295. If I should get a new mobo is it in my best interest to wait a couple months yet? based on how new this is to mobo's.

Also just because it seems a bit odd, the reason I got the proc and cpu even though I was going to swap them eventually is because I received them for under 100$ together(was a steal).
August 13, 2010 4:34:16 PM

Galandy said:
When I purchased my desktop I had Upgrade in mind. Athlon II x4 620 along with a Asus M4A79XTD EVO.
Packed a 295 GTX on 4g Ram(mid range abit) Top end OCZ psu and a CoolerMaster with 6 fans added.
Plan is and was to wait out all this time for SATA 3 and USB 3. I plan to drop the proc and get a 965 black and get the G.Skill’s Trident DDR3-2000 as recommended by this site and drop it down to 1600. I would like to get a fast SSD Sata3 for the main drive.

Question is should I upgrade the Mobo or just get an add on USB3/SATA3 card for 40$. I don't plan to run more then 1 video card ever and am quite happy with the performance I have had and will have with the 295. If I should get a new mobo is it in my best interest to wait a couple months yet? based on how new this is to mobo's.

Also just because it seems a bit odd, the reason I got the proc and cpu even though I was going to swap them eventually is because I received them for under 100$ together(was a steal).

Also this is the mobo i am considering to go along side the 965 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:04:53 PM

noone has any opinion on this?
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2010 11:06:00 PM

From what i under stand The SATA3/USB3 combo cards don't sit in a buss slot that will enable them to have the bandwidth that is needed to get the most out of them What i mean is , for both up grades a new motherboard is best But if you just want USB3 a add on card is cheapest and works good.

That being said i just installed a USB3 2 port from Vantec that is hooked up to 2 external docks that just fly's .The card is in a PCIExpress x 1 slot and i get 66MB/s transfers between docks . But from what i hear If the card go's in a PCIExpress slot that does not get good bandwidth from the board it can be a bad solution.

ASUS P5Q-Deluxe Win7 8400Intell 8gigs Ram 4750ATI Various HD's Keyboard,mouse. you know. bits and stuff :p 
m
l
October 4, 2010 6:33:38 PM

Yes, if you want the full benefit of Sata3 you'll need a new motherboard. The newest chipsets that are built for Sata3 include more PCI-e lanes to allow it. While a controller card will work you'll still have a serious bottleneck unless you weren't using a video card, which you are.
m
l
!