Sign in with
Your question

~$2,000 Gaming Enthusiast Build

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2010 2:46:14 AM

This is my sophomore build (I built my current rig back in 2005 with a buddy of mine and basically followed his lead) so I’m looking for some comments on this config.
(1) I've got the funds to spend ~$2,000 and am looking for the best value at that price point. I want to make sure I’m not doing something stupid like overpaying for minimal gains or overlooking a component that is superior.
(2) I’d like to make sure that the components are compatible; that everything will fit into my case, that I have enough wattage for my cottage, that I won't burn everything down, etc. :D 
(3) I'd like a nice upgrade path to give the new rig some longevity.

Thanks in advance everyone.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This Month
BUDGET RANGE: $2,500 After Rebates
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (all genres), internet, light “office” use
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, speakers
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States
PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel, Radeon, Corsair
OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, but not initially unless recommended
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Variable
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: See above
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
I like the look and feel of the HAF 932 but ultimately want solid temperature performance at minimal decibels. While I'll be cooling with air initially, water cooling isn't out of the question in the future and this case provides a nice upgrade path.
Mobo: EVGA E758-A1 LGA1366 X58
CPU: Core i7-920
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
I'm willing to spend more to get a high end single GPU running now as opposed to running a crossfire config right out the gate. I figure I can crossfire another 5870 down the road for a nice pop in performance at minimal costs at that point.
Memory: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM Triple Channel
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W
This is probably where I need the most help as my PSU knowledge base is basically nil. This looks to be a top notch unit based on what I read. I'm not worried if this is more than I need at this point as I can then carry forward to future builds. Just want to make sure it'll fit with my case.
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme 120mm
Only concern here is the size/weight of this beast and ensuring it'll fit with the rest of the config.
Boot Drive: Intel X25-M 80GB SSD :love: 
Storage Drives: WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200RPM (1001FALS)
I'd like to run two drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

Build price = ~$2,000
Related resources
January 17, 2010 3:19:16 AM

Here are a couple of things you can take a look at for consideration:

Mobo: ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The board will help future proof a bit with USB 3.0 and Sata 6 ports. Base price comparison it is only $10 more than the EVGA you chose.

---

About the only single card that will outperform the one you selected is the Radeon HD 5970, Sapphaire makes one but they are hard to find a quite a bit more expensive. Granted the performance is unmatched... the 5970 even beasts out most CF and SLI configs.

---

The HAF 932 is a big case, I don't think size for the components you've selected will be an issue at all.

---

Might also take a look at Xigmatek Dark Knight, it is lighter than the CPU fan you selected, has the same top speed, low max noise level and runs about $20 less.

---

The power supply for what you have specced should work fine. However if you are planning on CF'ing later on you may need something larger. One nice site for figuring out your power needs can be found here:
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Good luck with your build!
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:19:51 AM

The Psu is good...no size issues...wld look into the mobo I suggested...new 6.0 gb sata and usb 3.0...same price pretty much...all in all it looks good
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:21:28 AM

*What he said mirors some of what I said but the other stuff he gave you is premo goodies*... +1 Mr_E
m
l
January 17, 2010 3:29:06 PM

Thanks guys.
Anyone else see any design flaws or poor choices here?
m
l
!