Sign in with
Your question

GA-X58A-UD3R - a few odd questons

Last response: in Motherboards
August 13, 2010 3:49:57 PM

I’ve been browsing though the manual for my proposed GA-X58A-UD3R build next month and found a few things I wonder about.

In the manual it says:

----------------------------------------
eSATA Ctrl Mode (JMicron JMB362 Chip, eSATA Connectors)
Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controller integrated in the JMicron JMB362 chip or configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode.

IDE Disables RAID for the SATA controller and configures the SATA controller to IDE mode. (Default)

AHCI Configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.

RAID Enables RAID for the SATA controller.

-----------------------------------------

Why would the eSATA connections default to IDE mode. I would think that it would default to ACHI to enable hot plugging and removal, yes?

Does one want to Install chipset drivers from the Gigabyte disk or use Windows 7 drivers?

I see many messages advising NOT to install the Gigabyte software? Why? That bad?

Express Recovery2 seems pointless, yes? Backing up to same hard drive seems like a bad idea. Am I missing something?

In the Smart 6 utilities: what does Quick Boot do?

Smart Quick Boost seem like a good idea. Yes? No.

Just wondering.........

More about : x58a ud3r odd questons

August 13, 2010 4:42:56 PM

I recommend going to the manufacturer's product page for the most up to date BIOS and drivers, as the ones on the CD are most likely to be outdated.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... - go to the downloads tab and select your OS. Note that if you have a rev2.0 version of the board, then make sure you select that near the product image on the top of the page.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 5:20:32 PM

AlanHoward said:

1> Why would the eSATA connections default to IDE mode. I would think that it would default to ACHI to enable hot plugging and removal, yes?

2> Does one want to Install chipset drivers from the Gigabyte disk or use Windows 7 drivers?

3> I see many messages advising NOT to install the Gigabyte software? Why? That bad?

4> Express Recovery2 seems pointless, yes? Backing up to same hard drive seems like a bad idea. Am I missing something?

5> In the Smart 6 utilities: what does Quick Boot do?

6> Smart Quick Boost seem like a good idea. Yes? No.

People install all sorts of OS's, not just WIN 7 x64, on this MOBO so the Default settings are calibrated that way; example XP + AHCI. Perhaps someday BIOS will be able to sense or go through Q&A's to determine the "ideal environment." Everything you mention above goes for pretty much any MOBO and BIOS.

1> A - OS support and ACHI; while WIN 7 supports it by default XP doesn't. Yes, clearly eSATA should be "hot-plug" -> AHCI.
2> A - The only Preinstall for WIN 7 is for GIGABYTE SATA2 driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
3> A - Yeah, don't install any Gigabyte software. More problems are created than solved, and they're unnecessary.
4> A - (See A #3)
5> A - (See A #3)!!! NO! Don't use it!
m
l
!