Strange RAM issue

xenthan

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I've got 6 gigs of OCZ gold RAM with an i7 930 and an evga x58 board. The RAM is rated to run at 1.65v and 1600mhz, but if I increase the voltage above 1.5v, I get instant fails in a prime95 blend test. Currently I have it running at 1280 mhz (160 bclk) at 1.5v, with no blend fails and no errors in Memtest. I've tried increasing the QPI and CPU voltages, but this doesn't help at all. I've tried returning the bclk to 133 and then increasing the RAM to rated voltage, but even increasing it to 1.55v causes the same issue. At both bclk, I can pass small fft for hours on end without problems. Is this RAM bad, or does it sound like something else? I've RMAd these sticks 3 times and have had the same problems all three times. The motherboard has been replaced twice and the processor was upgraded from a 920.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
If the Ram is no good, the computer wont boot at all. Won't beep, no screen output, nothing. I'd reset your bios, disconnect everything. It should beep on power up. Then turn it off, install one piece of ram. Restart, then take out, add the other piece and restart. Continue to restart with one more component hooked up to your mobo until you find the problem.