Your question

New to overclocking, i5 3570k

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
August 27, 2012 10:56:13 PM

I just put together my first pc and Im trying to overclock my i5. Right now I've been able to get 4.5ghz and 1.27v stable, with mid 70s temps (peaking at 80 occassionaly). I've been able to lower the voltage and get lower temperatures, but prime95 crashes and my computer restarts after an hour or two of stress testing. My voltage and temperatures seem a bit high compared to others, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I tried to do offset voltage instead of manuel and when I booted (without setting any +/-) my motherboard was sending 1.5 volts through my chip. Can anyone point out how to do it or a guide?

Specs:

i5 3570k
Asus z77-v pro
Cooler master evo 212
GTX 670 gigabyte
Samsung 830 120g ssd
Samsung green 8gb (2x4)
Cooler master stormtrooper

Edit: I apologize for the double post

More about : overclocking 3570k

August 27, 2012 11:17:32 PM

mercenx said:
I just put together my first pc and Im trying to overclock my i5. Right now I've been able to get 4.5ghz and 1.27v stable, with mid 70s temps (peaking at 80 occassionaly). I've been able to lower the voltage and get lower temperatures, but prime95 crashes and my computer restarts after an hour or two of stress testing. My voltage and temperatures seem a bit high compared to others, does anyone have any suggestions? Also, I tried to do offset voltage instead of manuel and when I booted (without setting any +/-) my motherboard was sending 1.5 volts through my chip. Can anyone point out how to do it or a guide?

Specs:

i5 3570k
Asus z77-v pro
Cooler master evo 212
GTX 670 gigabyte
Samsung 830 120g ssd
Samsung green 8gb (2x4)
Cooler master stormtrooper

Edit: I apologize for the double post

I read somewhere that running Prime95 on Ivy is not a good thing but i could be wrong. Those temps seem reasonable from what i've seen around the web and here on toms, not sure about the volts, i will find out in a months time when i get my 3570k, until then good luck on the OC :bounce: 
m
l
August 27, 2012 11:27:38 PM

I've run Aida64 as well, got slightly lower temperatures.

Edit: Also, although I have the manual voltage set at 1.27 my voltage sits at 1.288 while idle and spikes to like 1.31 when under load. Why is that?
m
l
!