Question regarding case..

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello, sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section but it seemed ok.

I have a Acer Aspire X1301, which is a slim pc. I want to upgrade the graphics in my computer but the PSU is very low (220W). I have looked around and asked in another thread and I've found this case on Novatech:

http://tinyurl.com/y9v8o2x

which includes a 450w PSU (I could probably buy even better ie 500w)

My question is: Would I be able to take my parts out of the case, and put them in a new case which includes a new PSU. (So I can run a better graphics card)

Here is a link to the PC I have:
http://tinyurl.com/ygrxyr3

If this wont work (I'm not sure with the connection etc? :??: :??: ) Please could you provide a case which would be suitable, or tell me if my idea wont be possible :( .

Thanks.

The answer to your question is yes. You can transfer the internal components to a new atx case.

I took a look at the specifications for your computer. It comes with onboard graphics right on the motherboard. However it also has a PCI Express® 2.0 x16 slot (low-profile). I would be possible to install what is referred to as a "low profile" video card. The low profile cards are not as tall as the full size cards. They are designed to fit in narrow cases and do not require require as much power as the larger cards. You would still have to upgrade the power supply.

Personally I would recommend purchasing a new atx case. The selection and purchase of a new power supply would depend on the video card selected.

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the +12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency. There are some models available which have achieved 80+ Silver and 80+ Gold Certifications.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

I took a look at the Novatech case you linked to. There is no detailed information about the power supply included with the case. Cases that come with power supplies are usually equipped with OEM low budget power supplies. There are a few exceptions.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Thanks for your reply, does this mean even if I got a new case I would still have to purchase a low profile graphics card? If so, is thre any way I can get around this? If not, which low profile card do you suggest :( ?

If you purchase a new atx case you can install standard height video cards. No problem. :D

The only thing you have to watch is the length of the new video card and the length of the case from front to back. There are a few high end video cards that are extra long and will not fit inside most mid-tower cases.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Something I wanted to hear :D:D One last thing, what case do you recommend me buying? (Preferably from Novatech as its close by) Is the one I chose fine? Or do I need a better PSU? Cheers for your help.

4745454b

Titan
Because most bundled PSUs with cases are junk, most of us buy a case with no PSU and buy a seperate PSU. You could also do what I did. I found a great deal on a case, it was about $30 shipped. It came with a 450W PSU. Knowing that it was most likely junk, I simply bought a better 450W PSU and used it. I'm glad I didn't use it, a friend of mine needed a PSU and got about 3 weeks out of it.

Question: What are your graphic requirements, ie Games - High end games??. Have you looked at graphics cards and Have an Idea of which one you prefer.
ie do you need a 56xx series, or 57xx series card. The 58xx series is for high end games, but requires more power than the 56xx/57xx cards. Do you need/want 512 Meg or 1 gig of Video ram.

Can you use a low profile card, if so you could probably just switch out the PSU with a quality (ie corsair 400 -> 450 Watt). If a low profile 56xx series card is wath your after.

On that Note, I would prefer to go ahead and get a mid ATX case with the corsair PSU for better airflow. The corsair 450 should handle your system with upto a 5770 GPU (a full size Graphic card (lower power than 48xx series). If you need the 58xx series (or equivalent) card than as Johny said, go for a 500 -> 550 watt Quality PSU - Key word quality.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I don't really have a set price... but nothing too expensive.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I'm eventually looking to spend around £100 on a graphics card (Not for a while) But as for now I will be spending around £60-£70 on the card... I think 450 watt should be fine for the moment.

I took at look at the Novatech web site. It appears the company has its' own brand of power supplies. Unfortunately Novatech is not known or available in the USA. I checked several references and a large power supply database. I was not able to find any listings for Novatech. I also took a look at the specifications for several of their power supplies. The maximum wattage and current (amps) on the +12 volt rails are low. For example the wattage and current on their 750 watt model is what one would expect in a high quality 550 watt psu.

Normally I recommend Corsair and Seasonic power supplies. Corsair psu's are available at Novatech but I'm guessing their prices are high.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/PowerSupplies/Corsair/sort-price-asc/

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and the Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.

The Antec Three Hundred case is very popular with gamers on a tight budget. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are excellent:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Components/Cases/Cases/Antec/0761345-08300-3.html