Sign in with
Your question

Z77X-UD5H + i5 3570K Bios setting help please - thanks

Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2012 6:09:10 AM

Basically, I need help with a MILD overclock (4.2 - 4.4)on my new rig
I did look around and read some other post but still a little confused - So please dont say i didnt do my homework before coming here and asking for help

After all, we all did ended up being helped by others when you first started overclocking and ended up being good at it - SO PLEASE, don't let the chain of love end with you

I've uploaded a screenshot to make it easier to explain - Im not going to OC my ram, just the CPU
again, all i am seeking its 4.2 to 4.4 OC

which way its better?

leave everything as default and just change the Turbo ratio to 4.2?
i did that before and ran some test and noticed that my vcore volt goes from .972v-1.129 ish (1601MHz-4201MHz) (31c - 62c temp) which is not bad right?

the other method which i havent tried yet - cuz i dont know how is
have a permanent OC speed of either 4.2 to 4.4 .... could you tell me what to change from those chart of my screenshot? - do i have to like set to vcore volt to 1.116v and set 3.5, run prime95 for 2 hours and if pass, same volt with 3.6 and so on until it fails and just add 0.001 volt? and do that all the way till 4.4?

again, i dont know which one to use, the 1600mhz with turbo to 4.4mhz and able to throttle down or have a 4.4 constant... is there a different option too? maybe a constant of 4.0 with option to turbo to 4.5 or etc
also, whats a "off-set voltage" that some people talk about

I dont ever leave my computer running 24/7. I only have it on for like 6 hours a day, lots of websurfing + BF3 game, and the times i dont use it, pc goes to sleep mode within 20 mins, so its not even running straight 6 hours all the time

Thats it guys - if you do find a Guide that matches my need - please post it

PS: Im a licensed Auto technician, if you need any help or have car related questions I'll be glad to help you too

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
August 28, 2012 8:41:34 PM

you appear to be on a "manual" voltage setting, if it was offset, it would say somthing like +0.1V when you adjusted the volts

me personally, i would stick with overclocking the boost frequency, just so it doesn't use that little bit extra when it dosen't need it.
m
l
August 29, 2012 7:02:47 PM

in addition to changing the clock ratio and voltage, which i have to play with them for a bit ... could anyone help me fill in these?

Turbo boost....................................
C1E...............................................
C3/C6............................................
CPU EIST.......................................
Thermal Monitor..............................

PWM Phase Control.......................
Vcore Voltage Response.................
Vcore Loadline Calibration...............
Vcore Current Protection.................
m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2012 8:23:19 PM

This is my final results:

miltiplyer 44 @ 1.225 Volts - stable - passed intelburn test and prime95

Everything is left on default setting except the following:

Turbo boost................................disable
C1E...........................................disa ble
C3/C6........................................disable
CPU EIST....................................disable
Vcore Loadline Calibration...............TURBO

idlle temp 35-39 c - a bit too high?

Intelburn test temp 81C (CPU usage: 100%. stress level = standard. Times to run: 10)
Prime95 temp 72ish (blend test. number of torture: 4)

for some reason second core (#2) always have higher temp than the rest
the highest i seen it go is 62C playing BF3 at ultra settings (GPU max temp was 73c) and i think thats the most intense stress i put in my cpu. cuz other than bf3, i just surf the net and youtube

what you guys think of my temp? but honestly, my cpu will never run at full load
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 3, 2012 8:48:56 PM

intel burn test/LinX tend to make chips run the hottest, so good overclock :p 

with C1E turned off, it dosent suprise me that it idles that hot, my Phenom II runs about 40C idle with CnQ off
m
l
September 13, 2012 7:26:04 AM

Hi there. I have the same board and processor as you and want to help you out a bit.

First off, with your usage I don't think there is any reason that you need to have your computer running at 4+ ghz constantly. If you're just websurfing and such, your CPU will probably only use 20-30% of your total available clock anyway (Turbo on) which turns out to be less than 3ghz most likely.

Turbo is much better as it increases the speed when only it is needed which will relieve a lot of unneeded stress on the chip, and may increase longevity of it.

If you look at the Turbo Ratios under "Turbo Boost Technology" that is the multiplier for each core. Seems like you already understand the multipliers so you should fill this in accordingly. You can follow the same stepping as the stock (N, N, N-1, N-2) or you can have them all the same. It's really up to you. I've found that I get better voltages (next section) by following the same stepping pattern or leaving the last core at N-1 or N-2. Set your Turbo power limit to 250 and core power limit to 250 and don't forget to change your cpu clock ratio back to 34

Those are the only CPU clock settings you really need to play with. Don't worry so much about anything else.

As for temperatures, your load could be better. Idle is kind of bang on. I usually idle in the low to mid 30s though I think anything in the 30s are pretty acceptable. If you're running 4.4 at 1.225V you can probably pull the voltage down a bit still. I've ran 4ghz at about 1.08V before, and you'd be surprised what that little bit does to your temperatures.

If you want to decrease your load temps you will have to play with the voltage. I've found the best results by going into the CPU Vcore and changing Auto to 'Normal' which will allow you to utilize the dynamic vcore function below it. This will allow you to lower the voltage accordingly which will in turn lower your load temperatures.

Your idle temps will probably stay about the same (lower idle voltages usually don't do anything) but that doesn't matter any way cause all you really need to worry about is load.

With your overclock if you can get something into the 60s that would probably be good. It will take a lot of fiddling around but you should be able to get it.

Make sure to try the higher stress burn tests as well (not only the standard level).

Good luck!

m
l
!