Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New motherboard takes ages to start up

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 9:17:49 PM

Hello, i brought a new motherboard because my old one just died on me however i couldn't find the same mobo so got a different one, everything is in correctly, iv tried so many things in the bios settings but it always takes about 15minutes to load up if not more anyone know why? my hard drive seems fine iv tried different boot orders n that but still same problem, when it does load up i also get an error sayings windows cant find taskbar, just wondering if thats summut to do with it? its an P5Q SE2 mobo, if it is windows how do i reinstall it seeing as i never had a disk?
August 13, 2010 9:40:34 PM

Have you tried taking out all the unimportant stuff of the picture? Sometimes an old optical drive can spook around with a new motherboard, if it's IDE and not Sata.

Try starting without the optical drive connected. Also, where exactly does it struggle? Is it at windows loading screen, or at POST...? And what Windows are you running?
August 13, 2010 9:42:24 PM

Quote:
Hello, i brought a new motherboard because my old one just died on me however i couldn't find the same mobo so got a different one, everything is in correctly, iv tried so many things in the bios settings but it always takes about 15minutes to load up if not more anyone know why? my hard drive seems fine iv tried different boot orders n that but still same problem, when it does load up i also get an error sayings windows cant find taskbar, just wondering if thats summut to do with it? its an P5Q SE2 mobo, if it is windows how do i reinstall it seeing as i never had a disk?



Your OS is probably loading the drivers for the original MOBO which is no longer part of the system. Your OS is also probably OEM and, technically, the license expired when you changed the mobo.

Suggestions are to either purchase another OEM copy of your OS and install from scratch or try to boot your system into safe mode, then install the drivers for the new mobo and reboot, however, even this may still result in a problem as you may not be able to activate your OS with the new board (b/c the original OS license was linked to your original mobo), the end result being you probably won't be able to receive all the OS updates.

Purchasing a FULL version of the OS would alleviate such problems in the future.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 9:49:16 PM

njure said:
Have you tried taking out all the unimportant stuff of the picture? Sometimes an old optical drive can spook around with a new motherboard, if it's IDE and not Sata.

Try starting without the optical drive connected. Also, where exactly does it struggle? Is it at windows loading screen, or at POST...? And what Windows are you running?




its a sata drive, pretty new. its struggles on the every first start up screen for 10minutes, black screen for 1minute, loading screen for about 2minutes and about 3minutes to load everything up like the sidebar ect.
im running windows vista h.p.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2010 9:55:18 PM

mikey5802 said:
Your OS is probably loading the drivers for the original MOBO which is no longer part of the system. Your OS is also probably OEM and, technically, the license expired when you changed the mobo.

Suggestions are to either purchase another OEM copy of your OS and install from scratch or try to boot your system into safe mode, then install the drivers for the new mobo and reboot, however, even this may still result in a problem as you may not be able to activate your OS with the new board (b/c the original OS license was linked to your original mobo), the end result being you probably won't be able to receive all the OS updates.

Purchasing a FULL version of the OS would alleviate such problems in the future.




i haven't tried updating the OS on the motherboard, how would i do that? or is that just the settings i put in the bios to save on the OS, this is all new to me so im just trying to get my head around it
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2010 4:57:57 AM

You have given us no info about your computer other than the name of the motherboard. Is this an OEM pre-built computer ? I would do what mikey5802 wrote. You should either repair or clean install your OS.

Now, first disable in BIOS the things you will never use, such as serial port, parallel port, whatever you think are not necessary and then clean install your OS and all your programs.
!