Evga GTX 670 SC Red Screen

G

Hello, I was playing around with the EVGA precision X tool and was overclocking a bit.

I got a good 25-35 minutes of playtime, when suddenly, BF3 (The Game I was playing) froze, with a red screen on my monitor following a quick 10 seconds later.

Temps never exceeded 70c and stayed around 64-66c. (I was monitoring Temps every 5 minutes) (Fan was at 65%) (Power Target 116%, GPU Clock +94, Mem Clock +10)

Now, it hasn't happened since, (although a weird BF3 freeze while OC'ing did occur, but did not yield a red screen) and all I had to do was manually shut off my PC, then turn it on again.

I played some more BF3, now about 40 minutes (3rd playthrough, 1st was red screen, 2nd was standard freeze) with a little bit more modest OC. It hasn't happened and I'm pushing 1200mhz. Pretty pleased, getting average 67 fps.

So, the question is, is this a sign of a faulty GPU? Or just a sign of an OC gone bad? It's working fine, never had issues with the GPU. Is this red screen a sign that the GPU may have issues or something I can ignore?

PC Specs are as followed:

i5-3570k @ 3.4ghz (not OC'd)

EVGA Gtx 670 Superclocked 4GB

8GB (4GB X 2) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series X RAM DDR3 1600

Corsair 850AX PSU

Corsair H60 CPU Cooler

ASUS Sabertooth Z77 mobo

Solution
Yes. If you worked up to your current clock in small steps, just back off the clock by ~20Mhz and try it again. Or add a little voltage if you have the head room and are comfortable with the added risk.
G

Ah,

so the red screen is a sign that I am pushing my card too far?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Yes. If you worked up to your current clock in small steps, just back off the clock by ~20Mhz and try it again. Or add a little voltage if you have the head room and are comfortable with the added risk.

Solution