How to externally mount an all in one system (H60 etc)

I wrote this as a response to a members question and thought it may be of use to others so heres one way to mount an all in one coolers rad outside the case with minimal cutting

This is if you mount it on the righthand side of the case, often referred to as the back side, you can of course have it on the other side if you wish but that will interfere with the opening of the door to access gfx cards, clean etc
To support that properly, you'll need four of the pictured angled brackets, two on each fan,
you'll also need to figure out where to cut a notch for the tubing to go through the side,
(depending on your case you may need to cut a hole in the sidepanel and the back of the mobo tray)
your pumps powerplug and the fan wires will also go through that notch,
I would remove the roof section and drill the sidepanel (where the brackets will be) whilst its off and you have the time, remember to measure the rads thickness with one or both fans as you prefer to determine the bracket spacing
you may find a bolt, washers and nut is more than secure enough for the case side, but the fan/rad side needs to be affixed to the rad using normal screws,
cut the notch in the mobo tray and sidepanel where appropriate and line it with U-channel to protect the tubing/wires then put the block and any wires/plugs inside the case, use something to support the rads weight whilst you do it, and replace the roof panel, sealing the cutout on the mobo tray.
bolt the brackets to the sidepanel, nice and tight then,
line up the sidepanel, lift the rad so the tubing sits in that notch and close the sidepanel up, screw/latch into place,
affix the first fan to the rad through the bracket and repeat for the second bracket, then repeat for the fan on the other side, make sure you mount them correctly, I'd suggest both blowing to the rear,
make sure your plugs are all connected, including the pumps power and you should be good to go

**There now follows a few 'good practice' modding tips from 4Ryan6, I often forget to add things like this as I assume a certain level of common sense, Cheers Ry :)

When doing any modding especially requiring drilling and cutting it's always best to remove the motherboard and power supply from the case.

That being said sometimes we tend to want to shorten the overall time involved, so under those circumstances, (When it is actually possible!), of leaving the motherboard in place, metal filings have to be kept from falling on the motherboard or inside the power supply and shorting out when the unit is powered up.

Tips: On a steel case a powerful magnet at the drilling area will catch steel filings, (Keep magnets away from the HDD), on an aluminum case a magnet won't work so a wad of tape sticky side out at the drill sight works very well capturing filings.

Make sure the wad of tape is much larger than the drill hole, and when finished drilling press the wad of tape to the hole to make any loose filings stick to the tape when removing it.

Also a layer of aluminum foil covering critical areas makes a good capture net, so to speak, then when finished carefully remove the foil closing it in upon itself to contain the filings.

Of course the safest modding route is remove the critical parts from the case first, and take the modding as a serious independent job, but I've successfully cut corners using the tips with no problems, but the tips can only be used depending on how involved the modding actually is. **

Thanks for that mate, helps make it a little more 'Pro-guide' with your input :)

Moto
1 answer Last reply
More about externally mount system
  1. U R Welcome!
Ask a new question

Read More

Water Cooling Cases Overclocking