Install windows on 2.5" hdd attatched to desktop

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
hey! just wanted to ask is it safe and stable to install windows (windows 7 64 bit ultimate) on a 2.5" hard drive attached to a dekstop....i hav a fujitsu 500gb drive ( http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=3779919 )...have been using it as a data drive for sometime..but want to install windows on it now.
can it crash due to overload?? my system is a core i5-750 with 4 gb ram..amd radeon 6770...asus motherboard...with 460w power supply.

tomatthe

Distinguished
It should be fine to install Windows to the drive, but that is a pretty slow drive to be using what what looks like a newer system. Function wise you should not run into any problems though, just limiting yourself performance wise using that drive.

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

are you sure? cuz it has all my data if it crashes because of windows it will be a very big loss to me

well actually the only reason i ain't buying a new drive because their prices a rite now more than double of the normal due to floods in manufacturing areas or something like that :/...i am currently using a very old 200 gb seagate baracuda to run windows rite now...but its been making a dreadful noise on even accessing the files on it and also caused many bsods :/

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

it is installed inside my pc only with a sata connection just that i only have data inside it and not windows

tomatthe

Distinguished
I did not fully understand your question, I thought you meant would it work to use that drive, not would your data be safe while installing Windows to it. Personally I would want to format the drive before installing Windows so things are nice an clean after the install, and then move the data back to the drive. Which would obviously erase all of the data on the drive, so you would need to temp store it elsewhere. Even if you don't go that route, I would highly recommend backing up all the data on the drive before installing Windows to it just in case something goes wrong. Borrow a drive from a friend or something like that for a few days to keep the data relatively safe until you've got everything sorted.

Having data that you care about just sitting on one drive with no backups anywhere is never safe, even if its a brand new drive you are taking a fairly large risk in having it setup that way. I would suggest keeping the most important stuff backed up to one of the free online systems like dropbox or skydrive. If you backup only things you can't replace hopefully the online storage would be large enough to help. If you've got piles of movies or mp3's you may not be able to have a backup of these, but at least things like pictures, tax work, addresses, etc would have a safe place.

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Well i actually have arranged for an external to copy my data, its around 400gb so online storage will be not an option i think. As for formatting the hard drive i already i have a partition of 23 gb on it separate from the data so would not be formatting the entire drive but only that partition. Then i shouldn't install windows till all my data is backed up that's what you say?

tomatthe

Distinguished
I wouldn't install Windows 7 on a 23gb partition, that's just not enough space for it, and yes I wouldn't go ahead with the Windows install until you've got your data backed up. Always best to take the safe route if you can.

I would recommend at least 30gig as a minimum, but if you could I would give it closer to 50gigs.

And now, make sure that any data that you want to preserve is in one partition and there is another clean partition for the OS, and that you have just-in-case backups, and install Windows on the drive. Or did I miss the point?

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

i have done the partitioning....so the 2.5" drive wouldnt cause any problems in functioning except that it will be slower?

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

my current windows is running no a 21gb partition so that won't be a problem i think.

apurv104

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

thanks for your help :)

don't worry abt the space i work with less :p