Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Core i7 930 Righ--Built custom & fresh!!!

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Intel i7
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 23, 2010 2:08:37 AM

:bounce: 

Here's my deal

I'm building a PC on Saturday, and after countless hours of trolling the net (many hours spent here...I'm now in love with Tom's Hardware), after asking all my friends and fellow pc lovers, and after asking the folks at best buy and my local microcenter (chicagoland area) i still have yet to receive an answer that was both comforting and certain:

Im unsure of how powerful a power supply unit i need...and what one to choose.

Here are the specs of the computer im building. It needs to be upgradable in the near future (a couple months).

-Core i7-930

-ASUS P6T Motherboard

-Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 6144MB (3 x 2048)

-2 of the Western Digital WD5000AADS Caviar 1TB HDDs at RAID 0

-XfX Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition Video Card - 1GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0,

-A total of 4 Cooler Master Case Fans (2 come with the case, and im buying 2 with dust filters)

- DVD Burner (Blu-Ray in a couple months IS possible...not likely..but possible.)

-inside a Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX tower.

I plan on buying a 2nd XfX radeon 5770 in 8 weeks...so i wouuld like the psu to be able to handle it...if i have to buy a new one its not a big deal...

However, what is a big deal...is my budget. I only have 50-70 bucks for a power supply.

I need a suggestion on the wattage...what specs to look for, and i wouldnt mind a brand suggestion.

To be honest, i dont mind using an off brand for a couple of months, i just need to find something that will work for 2 months. I'm getting paid then hehe.

If there is a PSU i can buy now that will work with my system for a long time, its fine...it just has to be within my price range.

Also, i was planning on buying this for my hard drive in raid 0:
-Western Digital WD5000AADS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 500GB, SATA-3G, 32MB, Intellipower

Do you guys think this is an acceptable choice? Should i go for RAID 0?

The important thing is that i get this puppy up and running in a timely manner, within my budget. What are the best hard drives for my price range 50-60 bucks (i prefer at LEAST 1TB in a raid configuration, so 2 500 gb drives at the very least.), and a PSU that will handle this system for either 2 months, or the foreseeable future for 50-70 + or - 3 dollars.

Guys please help me out...i understand that you guys arebusy, and there are a lot of threads to view/comment on, but i would greatly appreciate your opinion and i promise to return the favor!!!

THANKS!

James

More about : core 930 righ built custom fresh

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 2:18:07 AM

Look at Corsair in the 600 to 650 Watt range. With their quality you could go lower, but this will leave room for upgrades later. Other top notch brands include Seasonic and Antec. Also of good quality is OCZ (and often a bit cheaper). For OCZ- look in the 650-700W range.
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 2:21:34 AM

to find out how much power you need,
antec.outervision.com

i would suggest a high quality power supply (PSU) from either Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or another hi-quality brand. a 950w would do the job, and allow for future upgrades.

about the hard drives, i recommend wd black hard drives, not green hard drives, because the blacks are faster. most people dont realise that it does indeed make a difference. also, u should probably just get a single 1tb drive instead of 2 500gb drives. it's cheaper and uses less power.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 2:30:29 AM

Oh, whoops, for whatever reason I read those as blacks. I wouldn't recommend the greens for a high performance application.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 2:31:12 AM

LOL but yes i see u agree!
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 2:59:51 AM

Here are the official ATI recommended power supply requirements for the Radeon HD 5770 and 5750 video cards:

450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connector recommended

600 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system..

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 10:31:23 AM

A 650 watt Corsair or Antec would work nicely for your projected system, but they are both budget busters. Unless you get really lucky and find one of these (or a similar high quality PSU) on sale, you will not find one of these for $50 - $70. Buy a good PSU now and you will not need to waste money replacing it later.

Hard drives - forget RAID. Buy a single 500 GB Samsung and later add a 1 TB Samsung for storage. Put the money you save into a better PSU.
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:33:16 AM

Just to mention, if you do plan to use Raid DO NOT GET WD DRIVES. They no longer function in Raid setups unless you buy the RE edition which are quite a bit more expensive. If you google WD TLER there is a lot of info about this as well as a fairly long forum post in here somewhere.
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:44:14 AM

Im pretty sure all western digital drives can run in raid 0. Dont get the greens they are for power saving and will hurt your performance cause they will spin down , and need to spin back up.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 11:46:04 AM

I was originally going to go dual RAID 0 WDs and decided instead to go 1 1TB Spinpoint F3. I think it was a good choice as the F3 (and many of the other 1TB drives) are still extremely fast. Really if you need more speed than them, an SSD is the way to go.
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:57:17 PM

"I was originally going to go dual RAID 0 WDs and decided instead to go 1 1TB Spinpoint F3. I think it was a good choice as the F3 (and many of the other 1TB drives) are still extremely fast. Really if you need more speed than them, an SSD is the way to go."

SSD's are really expensive right now, and unfortunately they are out of my budget range.

So: from what i see, the consensus is that i should get a single drive instead of a RAID 0? I could always add another later. Will i lose quite a bit of performance by not using raid?

Thank you for your advice on the power supplies. I'm going to forget the RAID for the moment and put the extra money into a power supply.

Ive already looked into the WD Black HD's....what other product lines should i look into.

What size RPM and Cache should i look for?

Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G, OEM

How is that?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 7:31:08 PM

Seagate makes good drives too. They and WD were my old standbys. My most recent gaming PC has a Samsung Spinpoint F3 which has been excellent and fast, however they can be a pain to find sometimes.
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:54:41 PM

Yea i havent really found one anywhere that i can actually pick it up....cant wait for the shippin lol.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB Hard Drive and Ultra Aluminum Hard Drive Cooler with Heatpipes Bundle (2.6 lbs)

Im going with that....sound good?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 10:02:35 PM

7200.12's are good. As long as the HDD is in direct airflow it will stay almost ambient temp, so a cooler isn't necessary.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:54:20 AM

I would like to thank everyone for their input.

To Johnny Lucky: You bested the replies on the PSU. Thanks you very much.

to EXT64: You stuck around through the life of the thread and answered every question i threw at yall, and gave me invaluable information. You win Best Answer.

PS:
I WILL return the favor guys!
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:54:33 AM

Best answer selected by Jamesyboy.
m
l
March 31, 2010 3:41:42 PM

You will be very disappointed should you try to run WD Black drives in any form of RAID.
m
l
!