BlasphemousMusic

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I was having issues with my new vid card, last night my pc shut down. I put in a temp monitor and playing WoW I was at from 90-110c! Its idle at 60c.

I have a system fan plus an extra power cooler fan installed. The card is a (pile o ****e) nvidia geforce 210, earth watts 500 watt PS

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
If you have ntune installed remove it, it can keep your gpu fan from ramping up with the temperature.

To test if the fan is ramping up properly shut off the speakers and remove as much ambient noise as possible then listen to the card while doing something graphics intensive (not WoW), you should be able to hear it after two or three minutes.

If the thermal transfer material on the card it defective the card will take longer to heat up initially but it will get much hotter than normal and it will stay hot for a really long time.

The geforce 210 is listed with a maximum temperature of 105 C.

BlasphemousMusic

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Magic- I tested it with 3dmark, I can hear it running fine. A few days ago the fan was making some bad noises but after that day its been fine (sound wise)

outlw - I am building a custom computer in about a month so I didn't plan on purchasing a new one.

Leon - http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/5880/5880cl2.shtml Thats what I have. Installed on my own is an earth watts 550 PSU, geforce 210, soundblaster xfi xtremegamer, 2 1gb sticks of RAM (forget brand), extra fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835129042&cm_re=cooling_fan-_-35-129-042-_-Product

Okini55 - I have not ever gotten a BSOD and the fans are working. I have Speedfan installed and its saying my fan is working. It only came with 1 fan I believe thats why I got that newer one. I don't see it listed as being an installed fan tho on the charts. I used ntune also to check and make sure if the speedfan was acurately clocking the 105C. Last night while playing WoW (which I wouldn't think was graphic heavy) I got to a spot with a lot of people and spells and stuff on the screen and my pc had basically shut down (the graphics did because I could hear the game still playing but the monitor turned off).