Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD sata data connection

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2012 2:11:09 PM

I have a Corsair force 3 60 gb SSD . While rearranging some cables and cleaning my pc I screwed up and the sata cable on SSD came off along with the plastic part that clips it on good.

now all the pins on the drive are fine and I can boot up my pc. however the sata cable barely holds on now, my question is can I get this part fixed and am I in any danger of messing up the drive with it not locked on right

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 9, 2012 2:15:11 PM

No sata is hot swap not that anyone does but it coming unplugged durring use will not hurt anything. I would suggest just taping it on or get a warrenty replacement... If you want more specific help please take a picture and post so we can see exactly what happened.

Thent
a c 317 G Storage
January 9, 2012 2:17:35 PM

You can get a replacement sata data cable, or just slap a small piece of duct tape to secure it -- won't hurt anything. Just put small tabs on the ends so it isn't too hard to remove.

If you want a new cable, just don't overpay.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 9, 2012 2:23:21 PM

While I would not use duct tape, using any non/low residue tape (electrical tape, frog tape, etc) will not hurt anything, and may keep the drive in place. But first I would try for an RMA claiming that it was broken upon receipt (they may not believe you... but it is worth a shot). Normal SATA cables are 'tear away' and will not damage the SSD connector if yanked out of place. This is why I do not like using 'locking' SATA cables. It is rare, but I know i am a klutz and would damage my equipment this way if I did use them.
m
l
January 9, 2012 2:28:22 PM

Best answer selected by mindistortionz.
m
l
January 9, 2012 2:30:19 PM

ok thanks y'all for all the help. yeah I bought the drive maybe 3 months back, so I will see about RMA.
otherwise I figured tape would be ok but wanted to be sure on it.
thanks again
m
l
!