Sign in with
Your question

Athlon X3 425 system doesn't post

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2010 2:07:46 PM

I just put together a new system, basically an Athlon x3 425 with a Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P motherboard, 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 4670.

However, the system doesn't post - all the fans start up, a the hard drives too, but there are no bios beeps or any video.

My suspicion is that it's because of my old Antec SL450 PSU (this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) is simply not enough for the triple-core CPU. I had to buy a 20 to 24 ATX converter just to be able to connect the PSU to the motherboard, and I only have the 4 pin connector (which people claim is generally enough). Before I go out to buy a new PSU, can anyone confirm that this indeed is the most likely problem?

And if so, would a 550w psu be enough? I'm looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... superb 550

thanks!

More about : athlon 425 system post

a b V Motherboard
January 18, 2010 1:47:53 PM

The PSU shouldn't be the problem. If it was, nothing would happen. 450W would be enough power for that system.

Did you go through the "Read Before Posting about Boot Problems" sticky? That generally covers most problems. If you didn't, do that and post any changes. If you did, what happened at the various steps.

I would think the most likely problem is a faulty motherboard, but that's rare, and without more info, it's more of a guess.
January 19, 2010 7:30:20 AM

MadAdmiral said:
The PSU shouldn't be the problem. If it was, nothing would happen. 450W would be enough power for that system.

Did you go through the "Read Before Posting about Boot Problems" sticky? That generally covers most problems. If you didn't, do that and post any changes. If you did, what happened at the various steps.

I would think the most likely problem is a faulty motherboard, but that's rare, and without more info, it's more of a guess.

Well, I feel dumb - in fact I read through that post, verified everything, but the problem was that the 20 to 24 pin ATX converter I got was somehow only halfway plugged in, so the system would partially boot up. When I properly attached the converter to the PSU, it worked...
!