Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Games
  • Processors
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 28, 2012 1:00:58 PM

I have a lot of questions, so I'll simplify this as short as possible.

I'm a hardcore gaming enthusiast playing games like Crysis 2, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, and other demanding games. For these games, my AMD 1100T just is not getting me the framerate I want at max settings. So in an effort to fully max out my computer, I am down to two options (but not closed to any): water cool my CPU (and later GPU) and overclock, or upgrade to an Intel processor.

So here's my list of questions:

Should I upgrade to an Intel Processor or Liquid Cool my current one?

If upgrading processors:
Which processor should I go with?
Which motherboard should I go with?
My budget is placed around $450.

If water cooling:
If I water cool, I will need a new case. Which case is silent enough for a bedroom with lights capable of shutting off?
Should I buy a kit, or create a custom loop?
If custom, then what is a good recommended pump?
Once again, budget is $450.

Thanks a lot!

More about : water cooling upgrading

Best solution

August 28, 2012 1:09:23 PM

if you upgrade cpu go with the 2500k and use the asus P8-Z68-V pro both are reasonably priced if you buy local (microcenter) and are up to speed with newer ivy bridge processors. if you bought the 2500k at microcenter for 150 and the motherboard for about 175 you still have a little money left over for some water cooling parts, but you would have to wait to make a full loop.

I wouldn't buy a kit solely because you are paying for stuff that you may want to change out soon and that's a waste of money.

I just recently bought a D5 pump for my system (haven't put it in yet) to replace my old EK DCP4.0. Honestly, just go with a pump that suits your needs, if your loop is really restrictive go for higher gallons per hour, if it is really small and flows fast go with lower gallons per hour because if you get too much flow your radiators are not cooling at their best.

As for silence, I use a silverstone TJ07 with 480mm of radiator space and use Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans and can hear nothing at night. It's not so much about the case its more so of what fans you use. Low RPM optimized radiators normally work best with silent fans, so be aware of your radiator type and fan design.

August 28, 2012 1:20:22 PM

Alright, so might it be better just to upgrade to an i7 3770k Ivy Bridge or an i7 3820 Sandy Bridge and not water cool, or is the water cool so advantageous that I should buy a less powerful processor and overclock?
m
l
Related resources
August 28, 2012 3:37:29 PM

shyyk said:
Alright, so might it be better just to upgrade to an i7 3770k Ivy Bridge or an i7 3820 Sandy Bridge and not water cool, or is the water cool so advantageous that I should buy a less powerful processor and overclock?

Ugh, if you go with either of those you would want to watercool them because the run at higher temps than the 2500k, anyways they are not even that much better than the 2500k so I don't see why you would waste money on them.
m
l
August 28, 2012 3:59:01 PM

Thanks! I think I'll go with the 2500k like you recommended. Then I'll maybe water cool it sometime later.
m
l
August 28, 2012 4:00:28 PM

Best answer selected by shyyk.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 28, 2012 4:49:32 PM

Don't forget an aftermarket heatsink to go with that 2500k,
Moto
m
l