System tests seem normal but still shutsdown without warning

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
My new-build is currently experiencing complete unexpected shutdowns when I play Oblivion (about 5 minutes in regardless of what I am doing). I experienced this with other ram while running Prime95 but I have since replaced those sticks with new ones. The system doesn't BSOD or restart, it just turns off.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit Professional
AMD Phenom 2 x4 945 95w TDP
Sapphire Radeon 5850
OCZ Z-650 PSU
Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H
G. Skill (2x2g) F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK (Only running one right now)
WD Caviar Green 1TB

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Results so far:

- Tested ram, found errors in prime95 and memtest86+ with one stick (the other stick tested in Prime95 for 6 hours with no problems).
- Ran Furmark for 15 minutes. Temp max'd around 81°C with no problems. (May run longer, but I'm not sure if this is the best test for graphics and system).
- Prime95 ran for 6 hours in Blend mode. Also tested FPU only with no issues.
- Temperature after Prime95 test (Not sure where the TMPIN's match to the motherboard):
■CPU Core: min: 35°C max: 61°C
■TMPIN0: min: 40°C max: 44°C
■TMPIN1: min: 41°C max: 68°C
■TMPIN2: min: 40°C max: 56°C

- The voltage min and max after running Prime95 then Furmark (not sure how to read significance in these numbers) ■CPU Vcore min: 1.34v max: 1.36v
■VIN1 min: 1.58v max: 1.58v
■+3.3v min: 3.33v max: 3.34v
■+5v min: 5.05v max: 5.08v
■+12v min: 11.78v max: 11.97v
■-12v min: -13.38v max: -13.31v
■+5 VCCH min: 4.06v max: 4.76v
■VBAT min: 3.10v max: 3.10v

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure where to go next. I can't imagine that Oblivion is making the system just shutdown and that it must be hardware, but the tests I've tried to run seem normal.

All I can think to test now is the CPU and GPU together but I need a logging program that can show me what is happening right up until the system just shuts off and CPUID HWmonitor doesn't do that.
If not that, then test the motherboard and/or the PSU (Not 100% certain how to go about that).

Any suggestions or links to posts that may help would be greatly appreciated as I've run out of key terms to try in google and forums.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Phaedrus567

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Some additional information as I try and troubleshoot this problem:

-Tried Dragon Age game instead, played for a while with no crashes (only played for 15 minutes at most).
-Tried Oblivion again with crashes (but this time system restarted after black screen).
-Tried disabling HP processes according to manufacturer site recommendation. No effect.
-Disabled Windows 7 Automatic restart in the system properties, oblivion lasted longer (about 5 minutes with one 10 second hiccup in video and not sound in the middle of that run) and different crash type (system shutdown and GPU fan gets really loud).

Still looking to rule out hardware, if I can do that, I can try different software solutions with more confidence.

Thanks