Sign in with
Your question

Core Usage while gaming?

Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2010 3:40:02 AM

Hello,
I am running a i5-750 processor and when I'm playing games such as BF:BC2 or Dragon Age i observe my windows 7 CPU Usage gauge and cores 1-3 are all between 15-40% usage fluctuating back and forth, but core 4 is always hovering around 95-100% usage. is this normal or do i appear to have a faulty processor?

More about : core usage gaming

a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 3:46:59 AM

Its perfectly normal 1 core will always be used more.
m
l
March 23, 2010 3:56:37 AM

is it normal for the one core to stay scaled around 100% while gamine while all others are much lower? it seems a computer would be more effective spreading the load across all cores, or at least more than one... right?

Would switching to an i7-860 make any difference with the hyper threading? or will it be the same situation but with 7 cores much lower rather than 3?

do BFBC2 or DA:o  take advantage of hyper threading? or would upgrading to the 860 be a waste of money for my purposes? (the games mentioned and school work primarily) no editing or graphic design
m
l
Related resources
a c 83 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 3:59:07 AM

It's the way the game is programmed, nothing is wrong with your processor, and you wont' see an even work load accross cores with any other processor.
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 3:59:32 AM

No because the problem is most games dont take advantage of more then 1 or 2 threads so it dosent matter if you have 4 or 8 threads if the game only supports 1 or 2 threads thats all its gonna use no matter what processor you have. And in a perfect world yes it would spread it all across the cores but programing for that is very difficult and time consuming.
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:03:12 AM

wow, i really appreciate the quick replies. Thanks a lot fellas. you've been more than helpful. i guess i wont worry then and can find something else to spend my money on... lol
m
l
a c 133 à CPUs
March 23, 2010 4:07:42 AM

Yea definitely you have a killer processor there enjoy it.
m
l
March 30, 2010 12:02:09 AM

Thanks, I have been so far; unfortunately, i'm back at school for a few more weeks till i graduate and our servers are horrible... i guess online gaming will have to do without me for 6 more weeks.

regarding my core issue, i understand that one core will always run higher than others; is it normal for that one excessive core to be running at 95-100% the entire time?
m
l
!