Worth it? Company I'm leaving will sell me "my" laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 10:19:10 AM

In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
it:

Dell laptop computer model PP01l.

CD burner was added.
Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
Computer is 3.5 years old.

The following software is inside......

Windows 2000
Acrobat Distiller 5.0
Adobe Acrobar 5.0
Adobe Illustrator 9.0
Adobe Photoshop 6.0
Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
Microsoft Access

Thanks for your feedback.

Zoila
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 12:34:25 PM

"Dale Bricker" <dbricker@cyburban.com> wrote in message
| In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
| working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
| sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
| Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
| it:
|
| Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
|
| CD burner was added.
| Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
| Computer is 3.5 years old.
|
| The following software is inside......
|
| Windows 2000
| Acrobat Distiller 5.0
| Adobe Acrobar 5.0
| Adobe Illustrator 9.0
| Adobe Photoshop 6.0
| Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
| Microsoft Access
|
| Thanks for your feedback.
|
| Zoila

First it doesn't have 36.44GB of memory. It probably has that much HD space.
$600 for a 3.5 year old notebook seems high to me. For the same price you
can get a brand new one.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 1:08:38 PM

>In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
>working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
>sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
>Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
>it:
>
>Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>
>CD burner was added.
>Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
>Computer is 3.5 years old.
>
>The following software is inside......
>
>Windows 2000
>Acrobat Distiller 5.0
>Adobe Acrobar 5.0
>Adobe Illustrator 9.0
>Adobe Photoshop 6.0
>Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
>Microsoft Access
>
>Thanks for your feedback.
>
>Zoila

See what similar notebooks go for on ebay. Looks high to me. Add a few
hundred and you can get a 2-3GHz Toshiba AR, with a 3 year warranty.
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 3:57:41 PM

Dale Bricker wrote:
> In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
> working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
> sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
> Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
> it:
>
> Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>
> CD burner was added.
> Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
> Computer is 3.5 years old.
>
> The following software is inside......
>
> Windows 2000
> Acrobat Distiller 5.0
> Adobe Acrobar 5.0
> Adobe Illustrator 9.0
> Adobe Photoshop 6.0
> Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
> Microsoft Access
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

Zoila,

I think your memory number reads more like disk capacity, but be that as it
may, the rest of the system, and the software looks like not that great a
deal for $600. At 3.5 years old, the speed is probably 700MHz or
thereabouts, disk is probably in the 10 or 20 gig range, and it has an older
video accelerator.

One issue about the software is whether you get the serial numbers, the
ability to re-install the software, and the ability to upgrade. Will you
have the right to upgrade, say, Photoshop, to the current CS version, or do
you have to purchase your own serial number? Will you have a Windows 2000
disk so that you can install drivers, or repair the system in the event of a
problem?

If the answer to some or all of these quesitons is no, then I think I'd
offer them $300 and see what they say. Compare this to what they could get
on eBay. I think they just want to recoup some of your note book cost,
since they can't very well issue it to a new employee, your notebook is
basically worthless to them.

Before you buy, try pricing out some of the lower end notebooks from Dell
and Hp and even IBM and Toshiba. You may be surprised at what you can get
for not much more than $600, and it will include XP with install disks, be
considerably faster, and probably some other software too.

Anyway, don't let me rain on your parade - you have the more complete
picture, and this could be a good deal.
--

Mike Russell
www.geigy.2y.net

36.44 GB of memory. Wow!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 5:49:20 PM

If you get a $70 copy of PC Relocator from Aloha Bob, you can probably move
that software to another computer.
The software is worth the money, although the computer is not.

"Dale Bricker" <dbricker@cyburban.com> wrote in message
> In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
> working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
> sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
> Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
> it:
>
> Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>
> CD burner was added.
> Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
> Computer is 3.5 years old.
>
> The following software is inside......
>
> Windows 2000
> Acrobat Distiller 5.0
> Adobe Acrobar 5.0
> Adobe Illustrator 9.0
> Adobe Photoshop 6.0
> Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
> Microsoft Access
>
> Thanks for your feedback.
>
> Zoila
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 8:04:50 PM

Re: "If you get a $70 copy of PC Relocator from Aloha Bob, you can
probably move that software to another computer."

Ok, software buying 101 ....

"Aloha Bob's PC Relocator, Ultra-control Edition" is on sale this week
at Best Buy for $19.95 after rebate (it's $59.95, which is $10 off the
normal price, with a $40 rebate). Best Buy is having a very limited
sale this coming weekend (Friday and Saturday), there are coupons for
10% off any software package if you can find them (they may be posted
online, try www.techbargains.com later this week). The 10% discount is
figured on the before rebate $60 price, so it's now $14, not $20. And,
if you have a Best Buy "reward zone" card, that's another 4% discount,
again the 4% is figured on the $60 before-rebate price, so it's now down
to $11.60. And if you use a credit card with a rebate to make the
purchase (say a GM card that gives 5% back), that's another $3. So your
$70 software purchase is now down to $8.60.

Joe Davis wrote:
> If you get a $70 copy of PC Relocator from Aloha Bob, you can probably move
> that software to another computer.
> The software is worth the money, although the computer is not.
>
> "Dale Bricker" <dbricker@cyburban.com> wrote in message
>
>>In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
>>working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
>>sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
>>Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
>>it:
>>
>>Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>>
>>CD burner was added.
>>Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
>>Computer is 3.5 years old.
>>
>>The following software is inside......
>>
>>Windows 2000
>>Acrobat Distiller 5.0
>>Adobe Acrobar 5.0
>>Adobe Illustrator 9.0
>>Adobe Photoshop 6.0
>>Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
>>Microsoft Access
>>
>>Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>>Zoila

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2004 8:52:26 PM

>In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
>working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
>sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
>Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
>it:
>
>Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>
>CD burner was added.
>Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
>Computer is 3.5 years old.
>
>The following software is inside......
>
>Windows 2000
>Acrobat Distiller 5.0
>Adobe Acrobar 5.0
>Adobe Illustrator 9.0
>Adobe Photoshop 6.0
>Office 2000 - Excel ,Word, ad Power Point
>Microsoft Access
>
>Thanks for your feedback.
>
>Zoila

This is what I got today for $300($20 shipping) from a site like ebay.
Vaio 3 spindle PCG-FX215, 800MHz Duron, 256MB RAM, 10GB HDD, 15"
screen. Not a scratch on it, looks brand new. Came with XP Pro, and
Norton Sytem Works which I removed immediatly, solving the system
lockup problem.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2004 5:20:16 AM

>In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
>working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
>sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
>Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
>it:
>
>Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
>
>CD burner was added.
>Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
>Computer is 3.5 years old.
>

>Zoila

Here's a new Toshiba with 60GB of RAM for $650:
http://www.microcenter.com/images/email/0704/inserts/17...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2004 12:06:47 PM

"AndrewJ" <aaremodlingremove@gmail.com> wrote in message

| >In 3 days I'll be leaving the company for which I've been
| >working for the past 3 1/2 years. They said they would
| >sell me the laptop they issued me. They want $600.00.
| >Is it worth it? Here's what it is and what's inside of
| >it:
| >
| >Dell laptop computer model PP01l.
| >
| >CD burner was added.
| >Memory card was added, so total memory is 36.44 GB.
| >Computer is 3.5 years old.
| >

| >Zoila
|
| Here's a new Toshiba with 60GB of RAM for $650:
| http://www.microcenter.com/images/email/0704/inserts/17...

Wow, ah need t'git me one of them 60GB RAM notebooks. ah muss haf got
screwed, cuss it all t' tarnation. ah recently bought a bran' noo one an'
bayed on over $1600 fo' it an' it on has .5GB. ah feel so used, cuss it all
t' tarnation. :p
!