Sign in with
Your question

Startup Repair Cannot Repair

Last response: in Windows 7
October 15, 2011 4:28:07 PM

So i took all 4 hardrives out of one of my pcs and put them in another,The C drive had W7 as OS.

But then i forgot about drivers,so once i booted up it asked if i wanted to autorepair ? I clicked auto repair because if i started normally it would end up getting a blue screen and go black.

My other PC had a ATI GPU while this PC has a different Motherboard,CPU and Nvida GPU

The autorepair keeps crashing and i can get into windows any ideas guys? :( 

More about : startup repair repair

a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 5:17:38 PM

Hi Seneta, you cannot as far as i'm aware, successfully transfer from one motherboard to another, even within the same chipset family and expect windows, even 7 to boot!

Different motherboard, CPU, gpu. You need to do a fresh install with new hardware, sorry dude, no other choice which will be acceptable, system stability wise. :-(

PS. remove the other 3 hdd's while you install fresh os to system drive, then complete all motherboard driver installs and windows 7 updates before connecting hdd's back to system.
m
l
October 15, 2011 6:13:11 PM

Thx for the reply! What really? ***! I sold my pc put kept all the Hardrives with my OS installed on it! I plan on formating anyway but i had a few tracks to finish before i formatted!? Im f*** now! You sure theirs no other way?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 6:42:38 PM

Hi again, sometimes within the same chipset family, you could transfer hdd, but you would need to use same CPU, gpu etc and then force windows to reinstall all drivers. Being from same chipset family this can work, but still not a reliable system to boot!.

Your only option would be to slave hdd to another PC and transfer complete and incomplete data to new hdd, and after fresh install, re-install the program associated with work your doing a pick up from there.

Sorry dude, their may be another way, but not that i can think of. :-(

Transferring data to new hdd should, in theory allow you to complete your work, this is not a definite either, but at least something you can try!
m
l
October 15, 2011 6:57:43 PM

Seneta said:
Thx for the reply! What really? ***! I sold my pc put kept all the Hardrives with my OS installed on it! I plan on formating anyway but i had a few tracks to finish before i formatted!? Im fucked now! You sure theirs no other way?

There is another way, you're not screwed. I have used a USB to IDE/SATA HDD adapter. What you can simply do is plug one of the hard drives into the adapter, and connect it any PC with enough room to copy up information. I assume you're using another PC to write on this forum.
1. So copy the files you need to save.
2. Once you're done, use that HDD for a format and fresh install in the new PC.
3. Copy over the files from the one PC to the other (should be a piece of cake if they're networked). If not you can use the adapter again to copy the files over.

USB to SATA adapter

Hope that helps.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 7:48:53 PM

@ Uberragen21

Thanks dude, forgot can use such a setup to slave hdd to another PC, never had to use one myself.
m
l
October 15, 2011 7:50:00 PM

Uberragen21 said:
There is another way, you're not screwed. I have used a USB to IDE/SATA HDD adapter. What you can simply do is plug one of the hard drives into the adapter, and connect it any PC with enough room to copy up information. I assume you're using another PC to write on this forum.
1. So copy the files you need to save.
2. Once you're done, use that HDD for a format and fresh install in the new PC.
3. Copy over the files from the one PC to the other (should be a piece of cake if they're networked). If not you can use the adapter again to copy the files over.

USB to SATA adapter

Hope that helps.

Wow thanks alot man,you a life saver! I have some really important project files!
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 8:36:43 PM

try booting it into safe mode to remove the drivers by pressing f8 at boot up

have done this successfully before with windows 7--though sometimes it wont work and you end up having to re-install windows
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 8:40:56 PM

wont let me edit

you could also download a live cd such as ubuntu and run that to let you copy any files you need from the drive
m
l
October 16, 2011 7:53:16 PM

Cheers il try that if i cant get sata adapter
m
l
!