Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Not recognising my Hard drive

Last response: in Windows 7
October 15, 2011 4:50:21 PM

Hello, i have formatted my hard drive after it was full of bugs/virus. now when i try and boot my laptop Aspire 5532, windows 7 x64 premium, it states on start up with hdd in the machine please insert windows disk to recover system. how ever when i do this with my hdd in my machine windows does not boot from dvd/cd, but when i remove my hard drive windows 7 starts the install process, which is good, untill i have to select drive to install windows to (now i insert hdd and refresh) which populates and allows me to select drive. but then along the bottom loine states "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. see setup llog files for more info". Also when i click show details staes "windows cannot be installed to the disk, This Computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disl's controller is enabled in the computer bios menu, this is really doing my head in im not by anymeans that great with this stuff and any help would be good HDD is WD1600bevt-22zct0 (scorpio blue)
October 15, 2011 4:50:21 PM

Hello, i have formatted my hard drive after it was full of bugs/virus. now when i try and boot my laptop Aspire 5532, windows 7 x64 premium, it states on start up with hdd in the machine please insert windows disk to recover system. how ever when i do this with my hdd in my machine windows does not boot from dvd/cd, but when i remove my hard drive windows 7 starts the install process, which is good, untill i have to select drive to install windows to (now i insert hdd and refresh) which populates and allows me to select drive. but then along the bottom loine states "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. see setup llog files for more info". Also when i click show details staes "windows cannot be installed to the disk, This Computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disl's controller is enabled in the computer bios menu, this is really doing my head in im not by anymeans that great with this stuff and any help would be good HDD is WD1600bevt-22zct0 (scorpio blue)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 5:01:04 PM

Hi dannyc5799, you are almost doing the correct procedure, almost.

It should go something like this :

1: enter bios and select dvd/cd drive as first boot option.
2: do not remove hdd, even if can hot-swap ( which is what your doing ).
3: restart PC and boot from disc.
4: disc should offer you the option of partitioning and formatting the hdd prior to install of operating system.

Nearly their dannyc5799, don't give up :-)

Try the process above, remember the hdd has to be connected from power on and recognized in bios before you can partition and format prior to OS install.

Good luck and keeps us updated on how you progress.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 15, 2011 5:05:39 PM

did you remove the hdd before you put the win 7 disk in? if so:
don't remove the hdd before inserting the windows 7 installer disk.
go to bios and look for any option to boot from cd/dvd drive and set the dvd drive's priority higher than hdd's, save settings. restart.
after booting if you see any message as 'press any key to boot from cd/dvd' press any key on your keyboard to boot from the dvd drive (no i can't help you find where 'any key' is :p  )
after windows 7 installer starts loading, select your drive from the menu and install.
i suspect that when you insert your hdd after windows 7 starts install process
the installer treats your hdd as a removable drive and windows doesn't install or boot on removable drives.
m
l
a c 401 $ Windows 7
October 16, 2011 12:49:29 AM

This next topics has been merged by Area51reopened
  • Windows 7 Not recognising my Hard drive
    m
    l
    !