Windows on SSD, but HDD localdrive C?

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
As it says i want to have windows on a ssd but make my hdd to my C: drive because it's easier to control installations this way so that i do not get unnecessary stuff on there. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance!

RealBeast

Titan
I would suggest that, while possible, installing Windows 7 to a drive other than C: as the SOLE OS would not be a good idea.

Basically, Win 7 installs the SRP, which then labels the OS partition that is created the C: drive by default. You will undoubtedly have significant issues arise, either now or in the future that will make you wish you had not made this choice.

Just use mental discipline when you install programs and direct them to your HDD, D: E: or whatever, it's really not that difficult compared to what you may face later.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
But already, 4 days after installation my drive is full of things(30g/60+OS) i would not like to have there. And all user content goes there automatically, appdata, temp files. It fills it up pretty quickly!

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I would recommend redirecting your folders as Realbeast mentioned. I do not do the program files folder as i have a 240gb ssd now, i do redirect the my documents/music/pictures directories as well as store program data on the HDDs thought the programs themselves are installed on the SSD and it works out wonderfully.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I'm not enough of a advanced user to use one of the guids Realbeast posted and if i get what i want I might not need the others.

I have no problem in starting from scratch so i need no back ups or anything, if anyone has a guide for this (clean install) i would like it cause that sounds easiest. I want to move everything except a few programs and windows from the ssd to the hdd.

jReps0l

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Check out the How To guide I posted. It's not very difficult and includes screenshots of the steps:

www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

And it does exactly what I think you are asking for.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I actually want to use junction points (if i have understaood corretly how they work) but I need to understand how to set them up properly.

RealBeast

Titan
If you are uncomfortable making the changes needed, there is a freeware PROGRAM that will cause newly created users to have all of their files (downloads, libraries, etc) to be placed on a drive that you choose.

It will not move current users, so you will have to delete and recreate your users to move what you already have.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Bumping cause is till need help :(.

What i need:
1)Explanations to the for mentioned guide. Junction points, etc.
2)If possible someone to possible guide me through it personally (over voice chat).

RealBeast

Titan
Sorry, this is an advanced topic that requires far too much time to explain in detail. I do not recommend that you use junction points on your system unless you first create a disk image and save it somewhere, as these techniques can cause irreparable system damage that would require a clean re-install and loss of all data.

If you really want to pursue this, you will need to do some extensive reading starting with detailed guides like THIS one.

I would strongly recommend that instead of making manual changes that you use PROFILE RELOCATOR and simply relocate all files of a particular user as they are added if you wish to do this.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I found this guide which seems simply enough. Do you think this is as dangerous?

I'm totally ok with doing a clean re-install cause I'm going to do that anyway.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Ones again, i have no data to back up :p this is a brand new computer, got it a week ago. But good! I will try it in a week or so, have some school stuff i need to do.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Oh one more question! I've heard that moving programdata might make windows updates fail, is there a way to solve this?

randomizer

Champion
Use the built-in functionality to move the location of system directories where possible. There's no need to overcomplicate things with junction points and symlinks if it can be done cleanly that way. Use the latter only where necessary, and note that it can be difficult with some particularly important directories as Windows may not allow you to move/delete/rename them. You could boot up a Linux Live CD and do it there, but you'll need to consider if the benefits outweigh the required effort.

As for junction points vs "real" symlinks: use the latter if possible, but note that they won't work on XP or older because the NTFS version doesn't support them. Junction points are dangerous because certain delete operations on the junction point can delete the target. Symlinks are also network-transparent, ie. you can symlink to a remote file or directory and it will act as a local filesystem entity (just slower and subject to pointing to an unavailable location).

RealBeast

Titan

^ +1

This is very good advice, and I would again suggest that you just do it simply by installing programs manually to your HDD.

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
My ssd now has 20gb space left when it should have about 40. Stuff i never use, nor needs a ssd are installed on it right now. And I'm also a bit afraid of the re-write limit. I'm going to do this by changing the paths, cause I'm a lazy bastard! I hope you help me with it cause that would be awesome.

Best Regards Doccool

randomizer

Champion

Basically what Realbeast was saying earlier (minus the junction points): http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278592-32-windows-localdrive#t1897516

The "special" documents folders for pictures, music, etc are very easily moved, and TEMP isn't too hard either.

Shrink your page file and turn off hibernation if you're not using it. The page file can get fairly big by default. The hibernation file will consume as much space on your C: drive as the amount of RAM you have, so if you don't hibernate, you're wasting a lot of space. I have a 30GB SSD that has been running my OS and programs since September 2009, and to keep it under that limit (actually under ~27.5GB as I partitioned it below its capacity) I was forced to disable hibernation and move a few folders and my page file off it. Your drive is larger so you can probably leave your page file on it, just keep its maximum size in check. Don't concern yourself with the write limit. Unless you abuse it the drive will most likely last beyond its usefulness in an enthusiast PC. You never concerned yourself about a HDD dying randomly did you? That's a much more catastrophic situation as well ;)

Doccool

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
Hibernation is turned off already!

Hmm, ok thanks! Wasn't sure weather the write limit was really a big concern or not, so I took the safe way. But somehow even though you tell me to do it this way and not the hard way with symlinks and stuff I still feel really tempted to do it.

I do not really understand why you think that the symlink system is bad, could u explain it ones more?