Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fan spins, but no video

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 17, 2010 5:51:43 PM

Recently I built a new computer, but when I was ready to boot nothing happend!
No post, no beeps nor any video.

This is what I have tested so far:
new PSU, still didn't work
the ram in different slots
MB outside the case
startup without RAM, gives me a bios beep that indicates there is no ram

Specs:
MB: ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
CPU: AMD AthlonII X3 435
RAM: 2x TRANSCEND 2GB DDR3 1333MHz

what should be next step?

More about : fan spins video

January 17, 2010 7:03:47 PM

sorry, the thread did not answer my question, as all these points are checked
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2010 2:45:24 PM

Hi there, just wondering if you solved this as experiencing v.similar and mysterious problem?!

New Build with :

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
AMD Phenom II X2 550
Rendition 2GB 1333MHZ DDR3 PC3-10600

Despite trying 2 PSU’s the system will still not post. Hard drive spins and all fans (CPU included) also spin. No beeps are presented on startup and the CPU remains cold to touch after removal of heatsink following five minutes running…

Also once power switch is pressed and power is delivered to board it can no longer be used to turn off system - even with extended press and hold of 3 - 4 seconds. Only way to turn system off is by switching off at plug socket.

Using another system (different hardware) the same scenario is replicated only when the CPU is not connected. Even with CPU alone in other system (no RAM or HDD) the system is still able to terminate with extended hold of 3-4 seconds on power switch. My conclusion is that extended press of power button for power off is controlled via CPU. It therefore seems CPU is not being recognised by board (board fault) or CPU is infact faulty (CPU fault)?!?!

Absolutely at my wits end now so any help would be unbelievably appreciated.....

Many thanks, Mike
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 3:55:19 PM

It has been solved, it was the MB that was faulty, got it replaced and now my computer is running fine!

But as you say, it may be that the MB don't recognize the CPU, these MB must have bios version 1.20 to use such CPU.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 4:05:17 PM

thatradiotypeofguy said:
It has been solved, it was the MB that was faulty, got it replaced and now my computer is running fine!

But as you say, it may be that the MB don't recognize the CPU, these MB must have bios version 1.20 to use such CPU.


Many thanks for your reply....

Yes was apparently flashed to latest bios prior to dispatch (Bios chip has 1.20 sticker on)....

I am inclined to think the MB is at fault as i believe it is rare that modern CPUS are faulty?

also in your case (thatradiotypeofguy) did fans, hard disk etc spin? can the mobo still be faulty even if CPU and case fans can draw power from it?

Many thanks again for any help which can be given.....its all about to get thrown from a second story window if i cant get my head around it!

Mike
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 4:20:37 PM

all fans and hard drives did start to spin.

Yes, a faulty CPU is rare.

The best thing to do is to see if you could get a kown working MB to check if it runs with you parts.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 4:38:46 PM

thatradiotypeofguy said:
all fans and hard drives did start to spin.

Yes, a faulty CPU is rare.

The best thing to do is to see if you could get a kown working MB to check if it runs with you parts.


Sounds like a v.similar problem on same board, will get new MB and see how goes.....will be sure to post back results to help other people tearing their hair out...

Many thanks again for all your help, very much appreciated.....
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 6:45:14 PM

It sounds like mancmike forgot to plug in the CPU power connector located near the CPU socket since the CPU wasn't heating up (step #2 in the checklist linked to above). The CPU power connector on that motherboard is a 4-pin connector toward the upper-left corner of the board when it's installed in a case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 8:22:08 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
It sounds like mancmike forgot to plug in the CPU power connector located near the CPU socket since the CPU wasn't heating up (step #2 in the checklist linked to above). The CPU power connector on that motherboard is a 4-pin connector toward the upper-left corner of the board when it's installed in a case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...


Many thanks for recommendation however all power connectors in place. Like to think i know my way around a PC which is why this problem is increasingly frustrating!

As said iv narrowed to MB and CPU......as CPU faults v.rare MB is getting RMA'd......

Anymore suggestions b4 it gets packed up will be welcomed with warm open arms :) 
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 6:37:22 PM

My only suggestion is to make sure you've actually performed EVERY step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. These types of problems are far more often user caused than faulty hardware.
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 6:46:31 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
My only suggestion is to make sure you've actually performed EVERY step in the READ before posting about boot problems! sticky at the top of the forum. These types of problems are far more often user caused than faulty hardware.


Checked and double checked against that list and about 4 others on the web. Totally dead with no beeps even with CPU + PSU only......

RMA'd today.....if its nt the MB then can only be CPU as behaviour with power switch mimics that of a MB without any CPU.....dead CPU's nowadays quite rare frm wot iv heard tho, esp when compared to number of faulty MB's knocking around.....

will post update when heard from MB inspectors :) 
m
0
l
!