Sign in with
Your question

Minor graphics upgrade. Need a new PSU.

Last response: in Components
March 23, 2010 12:15:02 PM

I'm upgrading my graphics capability. I'm not too impressed with DX11 so far, (certainly not impressed with the price of the cards), so I'll be buying another XFX 4770 and running it SLI with my other 4770, so the setup will be:

Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
Phenom 965 BE (125 Watt)
Kingston HyperX 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC
2x XFX 4770
Realtek onboard audio (888)
250 Gb Hitachi hard drive

I'm currently using a 500 watt PSU but I've a feeling that won't be enough.

Any suggestions/links to decent PSU's (up to £120) for my new setup greatly appreciated.
March 23, 2010 12:42:50 PM

futureproof for crossfire sli crossfirex quad sli: Go CORSAIR HX 1000, its a beast !
a b ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 1:19:29 PM

500W could be enough depending on the total wattage it can supply on the +12V rails. Give us the brand and ideally a link to it, and I'll see if it would be good enough after finding the max draw of each 4770. I think it might be enough.

If you have a budget, A good quality corsair or OCZ 600W power supply should be enough.

As garygole85 said though, futureproofing with the powersupply does work. about 4 years back, my friend bought a good 600W when it was the high end. Right now he still uses it and it's enough for any upgrades or new systems he'll make.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 23, 2010 1:22:04 PM

I have the ATI Radeon HD 4770 video card. It is is a very good general purpose card that is well suited for mainstream use. It just happens that two 4770's in Crossfire mode work well for gaming. The 4770 is not a stellar gaming card but does perform reasonably well in Crossfire mode.

The 4770's are energy efficient cards that do not require a lot of power. Here are the official ATI power recommendations for the 4770 video card:

450 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors recommended

550 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireXTM technology in dual mode.

The recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair and Seasonic are two brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. One example would be the Antec Earthwatts and the Antec TruePower New models which are a major improvement over Antec’s older psu’s like the Basiq models.
March 24, 2010 11:53:29 PM

Thanks for the replies.
@garygole: Aye that's a beast, bit out of my league budgetwise though.

@enzo: I currently have a Coolermaster 500W iGreen Power. Even if it is powerful enough it only has 1 6 pin PCI-e lead. I know you can get adaptors but I heard this is an inferior way of supplying power to a card. Am I wrong? Also, I'm gonna be overclocking at some point.

@Johnny: The Antec Earthwatts Truepower 850 looks nice, found it for £96. Unless there are any more suggestions I'll be going with either that or the XFX 850W 'Black Edition' for £114 which has had good reviews.

Thanks again.
a b ) Power supply
March 25, 2010 12:00:33 AM

I'd still say a good quality 600W corsair or OCZ would be good enough and both come with the required power cables.
March 25, 2010 12:06:18 AM

Enzo, I have £120 to blow, I figured I may as well buy something that's gonna last a few years. But thanks anyway.
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 25, 2010 12:15:56 AM

Bombhead - make sure it the new "Antec Truepower New" (yes, that is the correct name) and not the older "Antec Truepower". There is a difference.
a c 248 ) Power supply
March 25, 2010 1:01:08 AM

I followed your link. Looks like the UK version (TPQ-850GB) of the US version (TPQ-850). Here is a link to a favorable technical review over at jonnyguru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Although it is an older model it should perform well. I took at look at other power supplies at the vendor's web site. The vendor did not have the Truepower New models. The only two brand names I recognized were Antec and Aopen. I guess the other brands are country or region specific.
!