Sign in with
Your question

SSD install process for Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud5 win7

Last response: in Storage
January 9, 2012 9:25:49 PM

Hardware:
GA-x58a-ud5 (believe rev1)
Mushkin SSD 120GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (will be boot drive and a few applications)
WD 1tb Black (storage)
Windows 7 64bit

I got this ssd for xmas and I have been reading install procedures here on TH and elsewhere. What I have learned is this (please fill in any missing steps):
1. requires clean install
2. new driver needed at time of OS install. I believe I would need Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.8.0.1003 driver?
3. AHCI needs to be enabled in Gigabyte BIOS.

Here are my questions....
Do i have the correct driver chosen? I am unsure about the chipset that my Gigabyte mobo has. I know it is Intel ICH10R controller, but intel's website lists chipsets by series and family name i.e.
Intel® 6 Series Chipsets
Intel® 5 Series Chipsets
Intel® 4 Series Chipsets
Intel® 3 Series Express Chipset family
So I am unsure what the GA-x58a-ud5 mobo has.

If the driver is correct then my only other concern is in the Gigabyte BIOS INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS screen I can see 3-4 lines that relate to IDE or AHCI. I assume the line
ICH SATA CONTROL MODE should be set to AHCI. Since I would put the SSD in the SATA3 postion which is GSATA 6 or 7, I am unsure how I should set the following two lines
GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller (enable or disable)
GSATA 6_7/IDE Control Mode (IDE or AHCI)

Those are my issues, unless someone can tell me any other flaws or misinformation I might have.

I have read that some people set this up from the registry, which I would be comfortable with if that was the consensus opinion. I don't know how the driver would be installed properly in that case though. I assume the BIOS would still need changes too.

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
4trees

January 9, 2012 9:45:00 PM

I checked the manual and cover page said rev. 1001 So that is one issue solved. I never saw that before.

Regarding Gigabyte. I was not reassured by their site doing the search. When navigating it I wasnt confident I was going to find what I was looking for. I already submitted an email to them asking the same question about the driver. No reply from Gigabyte yet.

Thanks for your advice Rolli59
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 11:20:46 PM

rolli59 said:

I believe disable IDE controller and select ACHI mode.

The above option has no choice for enable/disable. Its IDE, AHCI, or RAID as the available options.

I found the driver from Gigabyte I believe on this page http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... with the name 10.6.0.1002

again, thanks for the continued help Rolli59
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
January 9, 2012 11:26:23 PM

Select ACHI!
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:20:19 AM

Ahci is set in BIOS.

I have learned some new info and it is disappointing. I received an email reply from Mushkin support and this is what it said....
Sean mushkinsean@mushkin.com
1:37 PM (9 hours ago)

to me
Hi Allen,

You are using an X58 mobo, all the Intel SATA ports are SATA2(3Gb/s)
The SATA3(6Gb/s) SATA port uses the Marvell 9128 controller, that is as fast as that controller is capable of going.
The limitation in read and write speeds is caused by the available SATA controllers on your mobo.

Thanks
Sean

What this tells me is if I want to use my SATA3 I will be bottlenecked as a result of the Marvell controller. Write speed of 240 mb/s and read 405 mb/s. This is not Mushkin's fault obviously however very little detail, if any, is available anywhere on Gigabyte's site, Mushkin, Newegg, or any other site like TH. Would this change my ssd choice had I known? Possibly, I might have chosen a lesser ssd. Regardless, the performance of my Mushkin ssd is still far better than my previous disk hdd so its not like I wasted my money. I do feel that the Marvell controller Gigabyte is using is something that should be addressed in reviews and benchmarks. This is a rather serious limitation to the SATA3 capability.

If I am wrong about my assumptions please let me know. Any corrections or suggestions could only improve my situation. I am curious if any Gigabyte users out there are able to install the Intell Rapid Storage Tech driver instead.
m
l
January 11, 2012 3:26:26 AM

Ive been all over these links. I learned a lot but not that much related to my situation or a gigabyte mobo.

I think some detailed instructions on how to install an ssd during OS install would be helpful. A video would probably be the most useful. Aside from that, I really wish I could find a thread detailing motherboard models and their SATA3 driver capability for optimal ssd performance. I found several threads detailing lack of performance with ssd's. Most seem to be related to driver install and BIOS settings.
m
l
!