yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hey,

A friend of mine wants more performance out of his older computer. He is running at Core 2 Duo E7400 at stock speeds with at GT450.

My main problem is his mobo which I can find next to no information about it on the net. Its an ASUS V-P5G31, and I have a sneeking suspicion that it doesn't like to over clock, but if anyone could confirm/deny that, I would be greatly appreciative.

Also I know the hardware is dated, but he doesn't have extra cash to throw around on new hardware.

Solution
Here's the info on the board (it makes sense that you couldn't find much info on it, since it appears to be from a pre-built system). http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/V_Series_2530L/V3P5G31/#specifications

Since it does seem to be from a pre-built system, I'd say that you're right about not overclocking with it. BIOS's on pre-built systems are usually locked down pretty tight to keep you from being able to OC. It's still may be possible if the BIOS will let you change the FSB and voltage. He/you just needs to check and see.

Still, the best option to OC with that system will probably be with a program like SetFSB or ClockGen.
Here's the info on the board (it makes sense that you couldn't find much info on it, since it appears to be from a pre-built system). http://www.asus.com/Barebone_PC/V_Series_2530L/V3P5G31/#specifications

Since it does seem to be from a pre-built system, I'd say that you're right about not overclocking with it. BIOS's on pre-built systems are usually locked down pretty tight to keep you from being able to OC. It's still may be possible if the BIOS will let you change the FSB and voltage. He/you just needs to check and see.

Still, the best option to OC with that system will probably be with a program like SetFSB or ClockGen.

Solution

yamman101

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for your reply DJ.

The BIOS was locked down tight as and as such I couldn't change the FSB and the max multiplier was 10.5 which gave no performance increase at all.

I took your advice and acquired SetFSB. With SetFSB I was able to achieve a stable OC of 3.3Ghz.

It is a bit of a pain to have to set the FSB each time the computer boots, but it sure beats stock frequencies,

Thank you for your help DJ, you were invaluable.